Brian

Default Dates/ Ages

Hello:
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a function in excel. I need to
be able to calc peoples ages into different cells.
For example:
Col B has the DOB
Col C I need the current Age with the current Date

Col D as a Date and I need it the calc the age from that date to the DOB

I need this ASAP. Can anyone help.
Thanks

Jerry W. Lewis

I am having trouble understanding what you mean by "the age from that
date to the DOB", but here are some general comments that may help.

Excel dates are stored as the number of days since 1900. You can
subtract dates and apply the General format to get the number of days
between the dates. Hence
=(TODAY()-dob)/365.25
and formatted as a number would give the person's approximate age in
years as a decimal fraction.

Jerry

Brian wrote:

Hello:
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a function in excel. I need to
be able to calc peoples ages into different cells.
For example:
Col B has the DOB
Col C I need the current Age with the current Date

Col D as a Date and I need it the calc the age from that date to the DOB

I need this ASAP. Can anyone help.
Thanks

Brian

Thanks
The part the I need know is to subtract 2 dates from each other to get the
age. The dates are preset. Also how can I get the whole numbers for the age
and not to get the rounded up number.
"Brian" wrote in message
Hello:
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a function in excel. I need

be able to calc peoples ages into different cells.
For example:
Col B has the DOB
Col C I need the current Age with the current Date

Col D as a Date and I need it the calc the age from that date to the DOB

I need this ASAP. Can anyone help.
Thanks

Max

"Brian" wrote :
The part the I need know is to subtract 2 dates from each other
to get the age. The dates are preset. Also how can I get the whole
numbers for the age and not to get the rounded up number.

Perhaps something along these lines ..

Assume you have in A1:B4 the data below,
names in col A, dates of birth in col B:

Pupil A 12-Jan-1998
Pupil B 08-Jul-1990
Pupil C 30-Jun-1978
Pupil D 25-Nov-1991

And in say, D1, you have a certain pre-set reference date,
say an "anniversary date": 30-Jun-2005

Put in C1: =TEXT(ROUNDUP($D$1-B1,-1),"y")+0
Format C1 as: General or Number (zero dp)

Copy C1 down to C4

C1:C4 will return the age of the pupils A - D
as of the "anniversary date"
--
Rgds
Max

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

=DATEDIF(BirthDate,TODAY(),"Y")
returns age in full years.
=DATEDIF(BirthDate,TODAY(),"YM")
returns remaining (minus full years) age in months.
=DATEDIF(BirthDate,TODAY(),"MD")
returns remaining (minus full years and months) age in days.

NB! The function isn't fully correct (especially with "MD" parameter) for
some combinations of specific dates, but it's applicable generally.

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvil<attarkon.ee )

"Brian" wrote in message
Hello:
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a function in excel. I need
be able to calc peoples ages into different cells.
For example:
Col B has the DOB
Col C I need the current Age with the current Date

Col D as a Date and I need it the calc the age from that date to the DOB

I need this ASAP. Can anyone help.
Thanks

Jon Quixley

Brian,

This might help:

Cell A2: DOB such as 15/06/1961
Cell B2: You cannot have current age and current date together in one
column
Instead Cell B2: Today's date 03/08/2005
Subtracting Current date (or some other date in the future) from DOB is
a simple calculation: =b3-a2
You then need to format this cell to express the answer in whole (not
rounded up) years. To do this: Format/Custom and enter in the box the
following: YY
This will express the cell in years only

Hope this solves it for you!

Cheers

--
Jon Quixley
Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25803

Hi

If you need to convert a given number of days into year (with
fractions) it could be wise to use te gregorian median year which is
365.2425 days/year

See
and
http://www.tondering.dk/claus/cal/node3.html -