Junior Member

Default Using dates for x-axis values as string instead of creating a scale

I am creating a line graph where I want to identify each point on the graph by a date (i.e. the source of the x-axis is to a column full of dates). When I do this, excel puts the dates on a scale, so a lot of my data is bunched up in the center of the graph.

Is there any way to format the dates as text for use in the graph without the text version of the dates being the unreadable number format?

Or, is there any way to stop excel from putting my dates on a scale?

Thanks!

-Eleanor
Junior Member

I figured it out myself. Under "Chart Options" on the Axis tab under the "Category (X) Axis" you mark "Category". Sorry to bother the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_weirdo
I am creating a line graph where I want to identify each point on the graph by a date (i.e. the source of the x-axis is to a column full of dates). When I do this, excel puts the dates on a scale, so a lot of my data is bunched up in the center of the graph.

Is there any way to format the dates as text for use in the graph without the text version of the dates being the unreadable number format?

Or, is there any way to stop excel from putting my dates on a scale?

Thanks!

-Eleanor
Jon Peltier

You can change the axis back to a category type, instead of a time scale
type. Choose Chart Options from the Chart menu, then on the Axes tab,
choose the Category option under Category (X) Axis.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services