Robert Judge

Default How to change ALL CAPS to Initial Caps only?

I have an EXCEL worksheet with columns including first name and last name, in
all capital letters:

Column A is JOHN
Column B is SMITH

How can I change all the names so that, for example, JOHN becomes John and
SMITH becomes Smith? I will appreciate help.

John C. Harris, MPA

Add a column next to the first name. The in that column use the formula
=Proper(A1), A1 being the cell that contains the first name. Then copy that
cell down. Do the same for Last Names. Then keep the cell values, and delete
the original set.

Should be an easier way I think (selecting the entire column and using
conditional formatting) but MS hasn't seen fit to do this yet.

--
John C. Harris, MPA
JCZ Consulting Services, LLC

"Robert Judge" wrote in message
I have an EXCEL worksheet with columns including first name and last name,
in
all capital letters:

Column A is JOHN
Column B is SMITH

How can I change all the names so that, for example, JOHN becomes John and
SMITH becomes Smith? I will appreciate help.

Reba

select the text you want to change. press Shift F3.

"bj" wrote:

check out Proper() in help

"Robert Judge" wrote:

I have an EXCEL worksheet with columns including first name and last name, in
all capital letters:

Column A is JOHN
Column B is SMITH

How can I change all the names so that, for example, JOHN becomes John and
SMITH becomes Smith? I will appreciate help.

Richard Buttrey

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 23:33:02 -0700, "Reba"
wrote:

select the text you want to change. press Shift F3.

"bj" wrote:

check out Proper() in help

"Robert Judge" wrote:

I have an EXCEL worksheet with columns including first name and last name, in
all capital letters:

Column A is JOHN
Column B is SMITH

How can I change all the names so that, for example, JOHN becomes John and
SMITH becomes Smith? I will appreciate help.

In say C1 =Proper(A1)

Copy down col C&D as necessary. When you've finished copy columns C&D
and Paste Special Values back in cols A & B

HTH

HTH
__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK

Myrna Larson

I'm afraid you are think of Word. In Excel Shift+F3 is used to insert a
formula. If you're already in Edit mode, selecting characters in the formula
bar and pressing SHIFT+F3 does nothing (at least in XL2003).

wrote:

select the text you want to change. press Shift F3.

"bj" wrote:

check out Proper() in help