Eve

Default Accidentally converted date mm/dd/yy to a 5 digit number

Somehow I accidentally hit a key(s) and caused my dates in one column of my
worksheet to convert to corresponding 5 digit numbers. Each date has its own
unique number (i.e. 7/1/2005 now reads 38534). I want to change it back so
that is actually displays the dates. How do I do that?

I'm using MS Office Excel 2003 running on XP.

Thanks.
R.VENKATARAMAN

select the cell and in menu bar
format-cells-number- dates
choose any format you want.
including mm/dd/yyyy

mine excel 2000
=====================

Eve wrote in message
Somehow I accidentally hit a key(s) and caused my dates in one column of

my
worksheet to convert to corresponding 5 digit numbers. Each date has its

own
unique number (i.e. 7/1/2005 now reads 38534). I want to change it back

so
that is actually displays the dates. How do I do that?

I'm using MS Office Excel 2003 running on XP.

Thanks.

Eve

I have been trying that and it doesn't work. The 5 digit numbers just remain
there even though I choose the format for those cells to show the date with
format of mm/dd/yy. It's like I somehow locked it or protected it and I
can't undo it. Any other advice?

Eve wrote in message
Somehow I accidentally hit a key(s) and caused my dates in one column of

my
worksheet to convert to corresponding 5 digit numbers. Each date has its

own
unique number (i.e. 7/1/2005 now reads 38534). I want to change it back

so
that is actually displays the dates. How do I do that?

I'm using MS Office Excel 2003 running on XP.

Thanks.

R.VENKATARAMAN

this is only a guess
probably the cell was formatted as text. is the number on the leftside of
the cell or on the right cell.

try this . hope you succeed
suppose the no.(?)(for e.g. 38548) is in cell a1 but in text format
in some other cell type
=A1+0
then in the new cell the number will be in number format
now format this as date
you can then manouver

try this in some other NEW sheet ALSO then you will know whether your sheet
is protected or not

--
remove $$$ from email addresss to send email

==============================

Eve wrote in message
Somehow I accidentally hit a key(s) and caused my dates in one column

of
my
worksheet to convert to corresponding 5 digit numbers. Each date has

its
own
unique number (i.e. 7/1/2005 now reads 38534). I want to change it

back
so
that is actually displays the dates. How do I do that?

I'm using MS Office Excel 2003 running on XP.

Thanks.

Eve

Okay, I tried that in a blank worksheet and it worked but when I tried that
same formula in the worksheet that I'm having problems with, it only showed
the actual formula (even after I tried to format it to the date). I guess
the difference was in the blank worksheet, the number was only the number but
in this worksheet, the number is actually corresponding to a date. What I
don't understand is how in the heck did my dates change to those
corresponding numbers? Each date has its own specific number. In other
words, all dates of 7/1/05 have the number 38534 and all dates of 7/19/05
have the number 38552, etc. When my curser is on a cell that had a date in
it, it will show the accurate date in the fx or function line at the top of
the screen but in the actual cell itself, it shows only the 5 digit number.
From the beginning, I had always entered the data in date format. Any other
suggestions?

Also, I looked for

Eve wrote in message
Somehow I accidentally hit a key(s) and caused my dates in one column

of
my
worksheet to convert to corresponding 5 digit numbers. Each date has

its
own
unique number (i.e. 7/1/2005 now reads 38534). I want to change it

back
so
that is actually displays the dates. How do I do that?

I'm using MS Office Excel 2003 running on XP.

Thanks.

R.VENKATARAMAN

check the one of those cells and clik format and see in what format the cell
is?
was that offendig column already in number format. In that case when you
enter a date it
automatically converts to number
I dont want to guess too much. I am not an expert but I have done similar
mistakes and got out of it after much trial and error. . if you have no
objection you can send a small portion of your spreadsheet including the
"cultprit"column by email as attachment to me and we shall see what we
together can do.

--

Eve wrote in message
[...]

From the beginning, I had always entered the data in date format. Any

other
suggestions?

Also, I looked for

Eve wrote in message
Somehow I accidentally hit a key(s) and caused my dates in one

column
of
my
worksheet to convert to corresponding 5 digit numbers. Each date

has
its
own
unique number (i.e. 7/1/2005 now reads 38534). I want to change

it
back
so
that is actually displays the dates. How do I do that?

I'm using MS Office Excel 2003 running on XP.

Thanks.

Lady Layla

Format the cells in the column as the date format you want. If it remains in
numeric format, enter 1 in any blank cell, copy it, select the cells in which
you have numeric dates, Edit-- PasteSpecial-- Multiply

: