KipNowlin

Default Levels in Subtotals

In earlier versions of Excel, I could add levels of subtotals. In 2003, the
additional subtotals come out on the same line. This prevents me from adding
different colors to the different levels of subtotals. Help just shows me
how to Group. That isn't what I need to do.
ScottO

I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly, but it sounds like you want to do
a subtotal by something like "years" and then do another subtotal within
"years" for "months".
If I'm on the right track, then when you do the 2nd subtotal, make sure that
you click OFF the tick mark next to "Replace Current Subtotals" - it's down
towards the bottom of the Subtotal dialog box.
Rgds,
ScottO

"KipNowlin" wrote in message
| In earlier versions of Excel, I could add levels of subtotals. In 2003,
the
| additional subtotals come out on the same line. This prevents me from
adding
| different colors to the different levels of subtotals. Help just shows me
| how to Group. That isn't what I need to do.

KipNowlin

Scott...

I am doing that. What I want to do is subtotal (using Average) on a premium
value for a list of insurance policies by the producer. Then, I want a count
of those policies that produce the average. In older Excel versions, the
count and the average would be displayed on different lines. Now, they are
all on the same line. I used to be able to color the Count in one color and
the Average in another. With them on the same line, I can't do that any
longer.

ScottO

I see what you want.
I'm in Xl 2002 and it does exactly what you want (as you already know).
Sorry, I can't help with the 2003 version ... I suppose MS would call it an
enhancement :(
Maybe a table using DAverage & DCount instead.
Good Luck.

Rgds,
ScottO

"KipNowlin" wrote in message
| Scott...
|
| I am doing that. What I want to do is subtotal (using Average) on a
premium
| value for a list of insurance policies by the producer. Then, I want a
count
| of those policies that produce the average. In older Excel versions, the
| count and the average would be displayed on different lines. Now, they
are
| all on the same line. I used to be able to color the Count in one color
and
| the Average in another. With them on the same line, I can't do that any
| longer.

Peo Sjoblom

Or a bug

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831824/

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"KipNowlin" wrote in message
| Scott...
|
| I am doing that. What I want to do is subtotal (using Average) on a
premium
| value for a list of insurance policies by the producer. Then, I want a
count
| of those policies that produce the average. In older Excel versions,
the
| count and the average would be displayed on different lines. Now, they
are
| all on the same line. I used to be able to color the Count in one color
and
| the Average in another. With them on the same line, I can't do that any
| longer.

KipNowlin

Scott....

Yes, 2002 and earlier did it beautifully. Now I am stuck. I am writing a
macro for an agency and when I did the demo on their system, it was just what
they wanted. I just upgraded to 2003 and when I tried this, I was shocked to
see the difference. I wonder who they ask when they make the "enhancements"
to something that works so well. It certainly isn't me.

Thanks for the offer of help.
KipNowlin

Scott....

I should have added that I don't know the "d" functions. I am a power user
in my own little world, but that really only makes me smart enough to know my
limits.

Peo....

I agree with your assessment.