ScottO

I'm not sure if I'm reading you correctly, but it sounds like you want to do
a subtotal by something like "years" and then do another subtotal within
"years" for "months".
If I'm on the right track, then when you do the 2nd subtotal, make sure that
you click OFF the tick mark next to "Replace Current Subtotals" - it's down
towards the bottom of the Subtotal dialog box.
Rgds,
ScottO