Nona

Default mailto addresses

i maintain a database in excel which includes mailto: addresses. when a
change to the mailto address is necessary, it displays the proper address but
when clicked to send an email, it remembers the old mailto address that was
first input in the cell. How can i get excel to disassociate from an address
once it's changed?
Pritesh Shah

Hi Nona,
The easy way to disassociate is to edit the hyperlink, i.e. right click the
cell or go to INSERT menu, HYPERLINK, edit/change as per your need.
Try this and your prob will be solved.
Regards,
PDS.

"Nona" wrote:

i maintain a database in excel which includes mailto: addresses. when a
change to the mailto address is necessary, it displays the proper address but
when clicked to send an email, it remembers the old mailto address that was
first input in the cell. How can i get excel to disassociate from an address
once it's changed?

David McRitchie

Hi Nona,
I've certainly seen old links in a cell if you use Ctrl+K (right click, edit hyperlink)
you can see it. I can't duplicate it manually, I think possibly you rewrote
what you see with a macro and didn't touch the link.

One way of getting around the problem would be to use something like
A3:
B3: =HYPERLINK("mailto:" & A3, "send")

You can use a macro to eliminate existing object links (Ctrl+K), for a selection.
There is also a macro to eliminate all hyperlinks, but I'd always use the one for the
selection and have prepared the selection with Ctrl+A to select all cells, so I
only have to use one macro, see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...#DelHyperlinks
---
HTH,

"Pritesh Shah" wrote ...

"Nona" wrote:
i maintain a database in excel which includes mailto: addresses. when a
change to the mailto address is necessary, it displays the proper address but
when clicked to send an email, it remembers the old mailto address that was
first input in the cell. How can i get excel to disassociate from an address
once it's changed?

David McRitchie

Never had Outlook Express lockup a reply before, guess it got sent
and couldn't do anything with what I thought was still my active reply
no insert, no delete, no send, there was a Save As but I saved to
notepad, anyway was going to add the following to what I just wrote.

If you are using a macro to change the the data, you can include
code in the macro to either write or remove the hyperlink. Just
gave you something to remove a hyperlink, instead of selection
you might use a single cell range typically.

Adding a hyperlink you will find on the same webpage buildtoc.htm,
of course if doing more than one it would not be for the activecell.

ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=ActiveCell, Address:=ActiveCell.Value
---
HTH,