Junior Member

Location: Ireland
Default Removing house numbers from addresses

I have a spreadsheet containing 18,000 addresses. In some cases the first line of the address (in Column A) contains a house number e.g.

25 High Street
124 Cherry Ave
7 King St

In other cases, the address contains no house number e.g.

Highgrove
Summerseat

Is there any way of writing the address line 1 to a new column and deleting the house numbers from any addresses that have one? So in the examples above I would like to end up with the following in the new column:

High Street
Cherry Ave
King St
Highgrove
Summerset
Peo Sjoblom

If it is always a space between the number and the rest you could use

=IF(ISERROR(--(LEFT(TRIM(A1)))),A1,TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A1,LEFT(A1,FI ND("
",A1)),"")))

Peo Sjoblom

--
dalymjl

David McRitchie

nice one, if there is a street number one might still want to sort
on the street number as well for those that do have them.
To return an empty string, or beginning number.
=IF(ISERR(--LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1))),"",LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1))

both Peo's and RagDyer's solutions do return a zero on a blank cell,
so I modified RD solution for the optional street number.

"RagDyeR" wrote ...
=IF(ISERR(--LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1))),A1,MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,100))