Louise

Default Pivot Tables

Can anybody give me some advice regarding pivot tables?

I create numerous pivot tables, usually without a problem, however, I have
recently tried to create a pivot table from a worksheet and when you get to
Step 2 of the Wizard - asking you for the range of cells - it picks up the
table but omits the headings at the top. If I then change the range myself
to include row 1, when I get to the end of the Wizard, it says 'the pivot
table name is not valid'? and will not let me create it.

Has anybody come across this problem before or know how I can get around it?
Any urgent help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise
dominicb

Good afternoon Louise

Ten out of ten to Microsoft for the most useful ever error message! Or
maybe not...

You will probably find that you either have a blank column, a column
without a heading. It may not be immediately obvious, but one of the
blank (or header-less) columns may be hidden. Have a look for these
and try again.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932

Debra Dalgleish

One or more of the heading cells may be blank, and to create a pivot
table you need a heading for each column.

Louise wrote:
Can anybody give me some advice regarding pivot tables?

I create numerous pivot tables, usually without a problem, however, I have
recently tried to create a pivot table from a worksheet and when you get to
Step 2 of the Wizard - asking you for the range of cells - it picks up the
table but omits the headings at the top. If I then change the range myself
to include row 1, when I get to the end of the Wizard, it says 'the pivot
table name is not valid'? and will not let me create it.

Has anybody come across this problem before or know how I can get around it?
Any urgent help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Louise

Hi Debra

Thank you for your quick reply, however, every heading cell does actually
contain a heading, all formatted identical. Any more ideas??

Thanks again.

Louise

Louise wrote:
Can anybody give me some advice regarding pivot tables?

I create numerous pivot tables, usually without a problem, however, I have
recently tried to create a pivot table from a worksheet and when you get to
Step 2 of the Wizard - asking you for the range of cells - it picks up the
table but omits the headings at the top. If I then change the range myself
to include row 1, when I get to the end of the Wizard, it says 'the pivot
table name is not valid'? and will not let me create it.

Has anybody come across this problem before or know how I can get around it?
Any urgent help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Louise

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Louise

Thank you for your reply.

I have double-checked all the column headings and they do all have a heading
and there are no hidden columns. Some of the columns, however, have a
heading but no data underneath them, will that make any difference??

Thanks again.

"dominicb" wrote:

Good afternoon Louise

Ten out of ten to Microsoft for the most useful ever error message! Or
maybe not...

You will probably find that you either have a blank column, a column
without a heading. It may not be immediately obvious, but one of the
blank (or header-less) columns may be hidden. Have a look for these
and try again.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376240

Debra Dalgleish

Could there be a hidden column?

If that's not the problem, could you copy your heading cells, and paste
them into a message, so I can see them?

Louise wrote:

[...]

Debra Dalgleish

Send it to

(remove the XSPAM from the address -- I use a munged address to reduce
the amount to spam that I get!)