caroofikus

Default Problems with Sum Function

I'm trying to use the sum function to add numbers in a
column. When I higlight and click sum, it takes my first cell out and
replaces it with a formula. If I click below it and select sum, it
puts a formula in. After inserting what I want the sum of (ex.
C20:C58) I hit the enter key and gives me 0.00. I've tried doing the
sum while having the cells formatted as both number currency, but I
don't have luck either way. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

--
caroofikus
caroofikus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23829

Peo Sjoblom

Why don't you just use

=SUM(A2:A50)

and type it in an empty cell (replace A2:A50 with your range)

Peo Sjoblom

"caroofikus" wrote
in message ...

I'm trying to use the sum function to add numbers in a
column. When I higlight and click sum, it takes my first cell out and
replaces it with a formula. If I click below it and select sum, it
puts a formula in. After inserting what I want the sum of (ex.
C20:C58) I hit the enter key and gives me 0.00. I've tried doing the
sum while having the cells formatted as both number currency, but I
don't have luck either way. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

--
caroofikus
caroofikus's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=374837

Piranha

caroofikus Wrote:
I'm trying to use the sum function to add numbers in a
column. When I higlight and click sum, it takes my first cell out and
replaces it with a formula. If I click below it and select sum, it
puts a formula in. After inserting what I want the sum of (ex.
C20:C58) I hit the enter key and gives me 0.00. I've tried doing the
sum while having the cells formatted as both number currency, but I
don't have luck either way. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Hi,
Peo's example will work just fine, but to let you know what you are
doing wrong.
You are highliting the range before you go click the sum function.
When you highlight a range notice that the first cell you've
highlighted
is a lighter color than the rest. That is your active cell. Thats were
the formula will go.
Try this, Select the cell where you want the formula to be (that will
be the active cell).
THEN click on the sum function, THEN highlight your range.

Hope this helps
Dave

--
Piranha
Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20435

Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Automatically up date time in a cell Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 12th 05 12:26 AM
clock Wildman Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 26th 05 10:31 AM
Need a ISWorkday Function -- Any Ideas Mark Excel Worksheet Functions 5 March 29th 05 01:58 AM
opening up an english excel sheet onto a french verions - problems with edate function [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 February 20th 05 01:37 PM