Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Ignoring text in cell formulas

Hello,
Is there a way in Excel to write text in a cell which will be ignored in a
formula. For example I have multiple formulas such as

=(10*$C$13)+(17*$C$17)+(20*$C$14)

I would like to have a tag as to what $C$13 actually is. That information is
listed in B13 so it would be nice to just reference that cell as text, and
have
it be ignored by the equation. However, I would still be happy if I could
just
write in what C13 is. Unfortunately most of my equations are too complicated
to have a built in function in Excel.
Thanks, Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Have you thought of naming the cells?

Name the cells then refer to those names in the formulas.

=(10*zebras)+(17*lions)+(20*wombats)

OR use the N function to add descriptions to the formula

=(10*$C$13)+(17*$C$17)+(20*$C$14)+N("zebras + lions + wombats")

Gord

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:45:47 -0600, special
wrote:

Hello,
Is there a way in Excel to write text in a cell which will be ignored in a
formula. For example I have multiple formulas such as

=(10*$C$13)+(17*$C$17)+(20*$C$14)

I would like to have a tag as to what $C$13 actually is. That information is
listed in B13 so it would be nice to just reference that cell as text, and
have
it be ignored by the equation. However, I would still be happy if I could
just
write in what C13 is. Unfortunately most of my equations are too complicated
to have a built in function in Excel.
Thanks, Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Nov 22, 1:45*pm, special wrote:
Hello,
*Is there a way in Excel to write text in a cell which will be ignored in a
*formula. *For example I have multiple formulas such as

*=(10*$C$13)+(17*$C$17)+(20*$C$14)

*I would like to have a tag as to what $C$13 actually is. *That information is
*listed in B13 so it would be nice to just reference that cell as text, and
have
*it be ignored by the equation. *However, I would still be happy if I could
just
*write in what C13 is. * Unfortunately most of my equations are too complicated
*to have a built in function in Excel.
*Thanks, Ed

Hi
another suggestion might be to use a concatenator such as the
ampersand symbol.

example....
="MyTag " & (10*$C$13)+(17*$C$17)+(20*$C$14)

be sure to use spaces Between the quotes as seperators.

Here is a formula i use in one of my files....
=SUM(BP355:BP404)&" / "&COUNT(BP355:BP404)&" =
"&ROUND(SUM(BP355:BP404)/COUNT(BP355:BP404),2)

it's actually 3 formula in one and shows all 3 results in the same
cell.
just may sure all text is in quotes and ampersands connecting
everything.

Regards
FSt1
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"special" wrote:
Is there a way in Excel to write text in a cell which
will be ignored in a formula. For example I have multiple
formulas such as
=(10*$C$13)+(17*$C$17)+(20*$C$14)

I would like to have a tag as to what $C$13 actually is.
That information is listed in B13 so it would be nice to
just reference that cell as text, and have it be ignored
by the equation.

Not quite sure what you mean by "ignored by the equation".

You might want:

=B13 & " " & (10*$C$13)+(17*$C$17)+(20*$C$14)

But that changes the result of the cell to text. You will not be able to
reference that cell as a numeric value in other formulas (unless you use
string functions to remove the "tag").

If that's okay, fine. Otherwise, you might try changing the format. In
other words, keep the formula as is:

=(10*$C$13)+(17*$C$17)+(20*$C$14)

But use a Custom format like "my tag "General . Of course, that means that
the "tag" must be hardcoded. You cannot reference B13 in the Custom format.