Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004[_2_] joeu2004[_2_] is offline

Default Ignoring text in cell formulas

"special" wrote:
Is there a way in Excel to write text in a cell which
will be ignored in a formula. For example I have multiple
formulas such as
=(10*$C$13)+(17*$C$17)+(20*$C$14)

I would like to have a tag as to what $C$13 actually is.
That information is listed in B13 so it would be nice to
just reference that cell as text, and have it be ignored
by the equation.

Not quite sure what you mean by "ignored by the equation".

You might want:

=B13 & " " & (10*$C$13)+(17*$C$17)+(20*$C$14)

But that changes the result of the cell to text. You will not be able to
reference that cell as a numeric value in other formulas (unless you use
string functions to remove the "tag").

If that's okay, fine. Otherwise, you might try changing the format. In
other words, keep the formula as is:

=(10*$C$13)+(17*$C$17)+(20*$C$14)

But use a Custom format like "my tag "General . Of course, that means that
the "tag" must be hardcoded. You cannot reference B13 in the Custom format.