Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to truncate list of meaningful words greater than 15 chars tomeaningful words of 8 chars.

Hi,
I am in a fix to downsize the names in a list for example.
GRONG GRONG
BORAMBOLA
MT MUNDOONEN
MOORLAND FSROL
HALFWAY CREEK
TIMBILLICA HILL
TELEGRAPH POINT
CULLENDULLA
BENDERNEER
GRASSTREE
MORUYA NORTH
LOMOND HILL
GENOA NORTH
LATROBE VALLEY
FERNY HILLS
POWRANNA
TOORLOO ARM
NEWMERELLA
CABBAGE TREE CREEK
SPROLE CASTLE
HINCHINBROOK NATIONAL PARK
EL ARISH
WAUGHS POCKET
TURTLE CREEK BEACH
WANGETTI FSRER
OAK BEACH
CUNNINGHAMS GAP WEST
CUNNINGHAM GAP EAST
PORT VINCENT CELLer
EDITHBURGH caouth
YORKETOWN CELL
ASHVILLE Fever
MARGARET RIVER
How can some one truncate them into 8 char words with meaning ful one
word
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:39:10 -0700 (PDT), Babloo wrote:

[...]

I don't know. The best I could come up with would be to remove all the vowels, <space's and any duplicated consonants. But that would not get you down to 8 letters. Your resultant list would look like:

GNNRTH
LTRBVLY
FRNYHLS
PWRN
TRLRM
NWMRL
CBGTRCRK
SPRLCSTL
HNCHNBRKNTNLPRK
LRSH
WGHSPCKT
TRTLCRKBCH
WNGTFSR
KBCH
CNGHMSGPWST
CNGHMGPST
PRTVNCNTCLr
DTHBRGHcth
YRKTWNCL
SHVLFvr
MRGRTRVR

I suppose if the result were longer than eight characters, you could either truncate the result or take every other character. But I don't know how "meaningful" the result would be.

GRNGRNG
BRMBL
MTMNDN
MRLNDFSR
HLFWYCRK
TMBLCHL
TLGRPHPN
CLNDL
BNDRNR
GRSTR
MRYNRTH
LMNDHL
GNNRTH
LTRBVLY
FRNYHLS
PWRN
TRLRM
NWMRL
CBGTRCRK
SPRLCSTL
HNCHNBRK
LRSH
WGHSPCKT
TRTLCRKB
WNGTFSR
KBCH
CNGHMSGP
CNGHMGPS
PRTVNCNT
DTHBRGHC
YRKTWNCL
SHVLFVR
MRGRTRVR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:55:43 -0700, Gord Dibben wrote:

Ron

This is shaping up to be interesting<g

Gord

Yes, it is, Gord.

I don't really know what is meant by "meaningful". On aviation charts, there are a number of "intersections" in the airspace which have pronounceable names but, except for a few sequences, it would be hard to classify these names as being "meaningful". And, for reading purposes, vowels are often superfluous, the additional limitation of eight characters makes it real tough.

I am guessing it might result in a more meaningful string to remove the vowels and spaces, and then truncate at eight characters; although, depending on the set, we might well wind up with some duplicates. We'll see what the OP wants to do.

This regex: "(\w)(?=[aeiou\s]*\1)|[aeiou\s]" will match every letter that is:
followed by itself (duplicated)
followed by a series of vowels and spaces and then by itself
or IS a vowel or space.

So when used in a regex replace function, it will remove those kinds of sequences and perhaps generate something meaningful. The problem is how to reduce the result to just eight characters, and still retain the "meaningfulness".