Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default sum first 2 chars if 3rd is something...

hello,

I got a row of data formated in xx-yy, where xx represents percentage
(number), - is delimiter from and yx definition as letter+number. (e.g.
55-A1, 60-V2...)

What I want to do is sum only first two xx values, if y equals A for
the whole row.

I tested the sum finction =SUM(VALUE(LEFT(a1:a10;2))), which in
function dialog view sums the values correctly, while in the
spreadsheet (after pressing enter), it returns a #VALUE! error.

What I came up with (and should work, as I understand) is
=SUMIF(LEFT(H8:K8;4);"*a*";LEFT(H8:K8;2))
=IF(H8:K8="*a*";SUM(LEFT(H8:K8;2));)

but it does not work. Where do I make a mistake?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((MID(H8:K8,4,1)="A")*LEFT(H8:K8,2))
Note: that formula is not case sensitive.

For an exact match, try this:
=SUMPRODUCT(EXACT(MID(H8:K8,4,1),"Y")*LEFT(H8:K8,2 ))

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

" wrote:

hello,

I got a row of data formated in xx-yy, where xx represents percentage
(number), - is delimiter from and yx definition as letter+number. (e.g.
55-A1, 60-V2...)

What I want to do is sum only first two xx values, if y equals A for
the whole row.

I tested the sum finction =SUM(VALUE(LEFT(a1:a10;2))), which in
function dialog view sums the values correctly, while in the
spreadsheet (after pressing enter), it returns a #VALUE! error.

What I came up with (and should work, as I understand) is
=SUMIF(LEFT(H8:K8;4);"*a*";LEFT(H8:K8;2))
=IF(H8:K8="*a*";SUM(LEFT(H8:K8;2));)

but it does not work. Where do I make a mistake?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your function =SUM(VALUE(LEFT(a1:a10;2))) works if you have xx-yx type
values not in a row but in Column A (A1:A10) and you confirm it with
Ctrl+Shift+Enter (array formula).

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MID(H8:K8,4,1)="A"),VALUE(LEFT(H8:K8,2)))
sums up xx values in range H8:K8 if x="A"

Regards,
Stefi

ezt *rta:

hello,

I got a row of data formated in xx-yy, where xx represents percentage
(number), - is delimiter from and yx definition as letter+number. (e.g.
55-A1, 60-V2...)

What I want to do is sum only first two xx values, if y equals A for
the whole row.

I tested the sum finction =SUM(VALUE(LEFT(a1:a10;2))), which in
function dialog view sums the values correctly, while in the
spreadsheet (after pressing enter), it returns a #VALUE! error.

What I came up with (and should work, as I understand) is
=SUMIF(LEFT(H8:K8;4);"*a*";LEFT(H8:K8;2))
=IF(H8:K8="*a*";SUM(LEFT(H8:K8;2));)

but it does not work. Where do I make a mistake?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

:)

=SUMPRODUCT(LEFT(rng,FIND("-",rng)-1)*(MID(rng,FIND("-",rng)+1,1)="A"))

Thank you! Works as expected, but i just found out, that some cells
(that I do not need) are empty or in a different format (xxxx) and
those rows return #VALUE! error!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Damn you're fast :) I need to check others if same error does not
effect empty cells.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For the cells that are in a different format, how do you wish to process them?
--ron

Yes, I'm banging my head on this.
I've got big majority of values in xx-yx format X-number, Y letter,
which is already correctly processed by the formula. Some are
xx-yyyyy+, which also gets through and some xx-y, the same without
error. Unfortunately I've got also 0, ', and empty cells. These,
especially empty cells, cause problems. It would be the best if these
got totally ignored.

What i did was combine the formula with COUNTIF(a1:a10;"*A*"), to count
the number of these occurrences, which also includes cells that only
contain this letter, but were not summed. I got much better result with
"*-A*", but I found at least one cell that had -A in the wrong place,
so it was also not calculated.

Is there an easy way to only use xx-yx format, also count the number of
those used and ignore 0 end empty? I don't seem to be writing my if
clauses correctly.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 28 Sep 2006 07:04:11 -0700, wrote:

[...]

I'm still not sure what you want to do with cells in the format of:

xxyy 55A1

xy-y... 5A-A123

xx-yyy... 55-ABCD

or even if those formats are possible.

The following *array* formula will sum the left two digits for any cells that
have the format of xx-A..... and ignore others.

If the left two characters are not digits, it will give an error message.

To enter an *array* formula, hold down <ctrl<shift while hitting <enter.
Excel will place braces {...} around the formula.

If the above is not what you want, you will have to be specific about the types
of inputs you might have and how you want to process the variations.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:04:14 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

[...]

I guess it would be helpful if I actually posted the formula!!

=SUM(--IF(ISERR(FIND("-A",rng)),0,LEFT(rng,2)))

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Ron. :)
It works perfectly! I can replace the wrong formatted values, but funny
thing is, that array formulas do not get updated untill I press "save".
Is this normal?

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

The following *array* formula will sum the left two digits for any cells that
have the format of xx-A..... and ignore others.

=SUM(--IF(ISERR(FIND("-A",rng)),0,LEFT(rng,2)))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Great! The job is done! :)
About the calculations. I have *never* changed this setting, but it
always was set to authomatic. Ah well, If it works...

Thanks again!