BLW

Default locking information

I am working on a project where a user will be using sheet1 that uses
information on sheet2. Is there anyway for me to make it where the user
cannot accidentaly delete or tamper with the information in sheet2. Also, I
am will be using the Vlookup function on some of the cells in sheet1; is
there anyway for me to lock in that equation in that cell at all times, so
that if the user decides they mess up and they delete the text in that cell,
it doesn't delete the equation??
Gord Dibben

By default when a work sheet is protected all cells are locked.

Select cells in which users are to enter data.

FormatCellsProtection. Uncheck the "locked" option.

Now ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet.

Set the options you wish users to have then provide a password and OK.

Note: sheet passwords are easily cracked.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 18 May 2005 10:37:08 -0700, BLW wrote:

I am working on a project where a user will be using sheet1 that uses
information on sheet2. Is there anyway for me to make it where the user
cannot accidentaly delete or tamper with the information in sheet2. Also, I
am will be using the Vlookup function on some of the cells in sheet1; is
there anyway for me to lock in that equation in that cell at all times, so
that if the user decides they mess up and they delete the text in that cell,
it doesn't delete the equation??

Dave Peterson

If they don't need to change Sheet2, you could protect the sheet:
tools|protection|protect sheet

If they don't need to even see sheet2, you could hide it.
select sheet2
Format|Sheet|hide

(or you could do both protect and hide the sheet)

And for sheet1, you could lock the cells that you want unchangeable--and unlock
the cells that user should be able to change. (Format|cells|protection tab)

Then protect that worksheet.

Be aware that worksheet protection can be broken pretty easily.

--

Dave Peterson