a6kim

Default Update a spreadsheet with new information.

My problem deals with data. I obtain data from my company database and copy
the information onto Excel spreadsheet. There are about 6 columns with the
last column being labeled the "Notes" column because that's where I track and
leave notes on how things are going with each item. The PROBLEM is that our
database is constantly being updated with new information. Thus I am forced
to either create an entirely new spreadsheet and sit there re-entering my
"Notes" information for each item OR to go through my original spreadsheet
and compare it to the new one to find deleted items, added items, changes to
specs..due dates..etc. of items. Basically I spend a lot of downtime
re-entering information and reviewing old data. Is there any way I can update
the data without having to constantly use new spreadsheets and having to
re-enter information?
Dave Peterson

If there's a nice unique key value on each row, maybe you could use =vlookup()
or =index(match()) to merge your old notes into the new workbook???

If you want to read more about these, take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site:

==
But I think the simplest (in theory) solution is to get your company to add your
notes field to the real database. Then update those notes in the database.

--

Dave Peterson