Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default If function help

I have two cells that each have drop down lists. The first cell has the text
yes and no, If i choose yes i want the second cell to return N/A for example,
and if it is no I want the drop down list to be usable in the second cell.

Thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you are looking for a non-VBA solution create two named ranges myListYes
and myListNo and use the below formula..This will not autopopulate the value
'n/a'.

=IF(A1="Yes",mylistYes,IF(A1="No",myListNo,""))

If you really need a VBA solution post back..

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Mezani" wrote:

I have two cells that each have drop down lists. The first cell has the text
yes and no, If i choose yes i want the second cell to return N/A for example,
and if it is no I want the drop down list to be usable in the second cell.

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Forgot to mention that this formula is to be used in 'Source' field of Data
Validation.

For example if you want the drop down in cell B1 based on cell A1; select
cell B1 and from menu DataValidationAllow 'List'

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Mezani" wrote:

I have two cells that each have drop down lists. The first cell has the text
yes and no, If i choose yes i want the second cell to return N/A for example,
and if it is no I want the drop down list to be usable in the second cell.

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't understand how this formula needs to be in the source of the data
validation, that already has the name for the list. example, =yesno which is
what i named the two cells on another sheet.

"Mezani" wrote:

I have two cells that each have drop down lists. The first cell has the text
yes and no, If i choose yes i want the second cell to return N/A for example,
and if it is no I want the drop down list to be usable in the second cell.

Thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
let' say yes or no will be entered in cell A2, so first you have to create
the list with yes and no and name it Answer, then create another list with
#N/A and name it Yes and another list with the selection you want if they
choose No and name this list No3
then in data validation for cell A1, choose list and as source enter

=Answer

in cell B2 as data validation enter list and as source enter

=indirect(A2)