Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Data Validation/Lookup function does function correcty

Hi,
I've just got office 2007 and decided to play around on it to see what it
can do. I can't see what I've done wrong for this formula though. in theroy,
i'm trying to get the 'amount left' (right group)into 'amount left' (left
group). it comes up with the wrong data answers.

There are 2 things that don't seem to go right:
1) data vailidation option does not match lookup value (Please Specify, Red
and Cheddar all say 41)
2) if you delete the Cheddar info (41) then only stilton is correct, with
all others say '0'
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default spreadsheet

sorry. i forgot to attach. seems that i cant, so here is a copy and paste of
the spreadsheet, though you may have to add data validation to cell:B4
data validation, then List. Source is E3:E6

types of cheese amount left
Type of Cheese Amount left
Please Specify 0
Red 41 cheddar 41
Stilton 34
Red 54

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have omitted a great amount of detail.

What are "left group" and "right group"?

What arguments are you using in your lookup formulas?

Post some formulas and examples of data that are giving you problems.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP