Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lookup Function? Employee Number with Employee Name

I have a spreadsheet that I believe that I need some form of LOOKUP function,
but have been unable to find the type that I need. I have a column "C" that
has an employee number in it. I have created a table on Sheet 2 with the
Employee Number and the corresponding Employee Name in that table. I want to
have the column "D" on Sheet 1 to automatically fill in the Employee Name
based on the Employee Number in column "C". What type of function would this
be? and suggestions on syntax? Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Eva Eva is offline

=VLOOKUP(c1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
Or
for instances that thre are no employee on the list
=if(isna(VLOOKUP(c1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE))=true,"no employee on the
list",VLOOKUP(c1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE))

--
Please click "yes" if this post helped you!

Greatly appreciated

Eva