Dave S

Default Employee number and name

Is there some way that when I enter an employees number in to a cell it will
return the name?

Thanks for your help - Dave

Bill Kuunders

You need to have a table of two columns (or more for other info) where the
first column is the
emplyee number and the second is the name.

=vlookup(A5,F3:G60,2,false) will give you
the name of the empl# in A5 from the table.
2 stands for the second column of that table.

--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K

"Dave S" wrote in message
Is there some way that when I enter an employees number in to a cell it
will return the name?

Thanks for your help - Dave

Dave S

Hi Bill - Not sure that I quite understand it.

I have 2 employees numbers in cells a5 and a6 and the names in cells b5 and
b6. I'd like to type an employee number in a13 and for it to return the
relevant name. What would be the formula? Hope this makes sense.

"Dave S" wrote in message
Is there some way that when I enter an employees number in to a cell it
will return the name?

Thanks for your help - Dave

Cutter

Change the formula Bill gave you to this:

In B13 type: =VLOOKUP(A13,A5:B6,2,0)

Copy this formula down to B14

Now when you type an employee number into A13 or A14 you'll get the
corresponding names in B13 and B14

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848

Rowan

If you are going to copy that formula down you'll want to use absolute
references for the lookup range:

=VLOOKUP(A13,$A$5:$B$6,2,0)

Regards
Rowan

"Cutter" wrote:

Change the formula Bill gave you to this:

In B13 type: =VLOOKUP(A13,A5:B6,2,0)

Copy this formula down to B14

Now when you type an employee number into A13 or A14 you'll get the
corresponding names in B13 and B14

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398406

Cutter

You're right, Rowan. My bad.

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398406

Dave S

Thanks for your replies - I still can't get my head around this - I'll try
again later.