Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using Data Validation via an array to stop manual entries - possib

My original problem is listedbelow

I am using Data Validation for selected vehicles on runs, but I need to stop
people assigning a duplicate registration for seperate runs.
The list for the data validation is in cells D91 to D120 and the entries are
made in cells H3 to H47

ALSO - on the same sheet I need to stop people using the vehicle
Registrations from the validation in cells H48 to H60 - can I use the same
validation list or do I have to set it up again

I have used all the info from http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal03.html to
sucessfully create a dropdown that doesn't show a duplicate entry, but i need
to allow the users to be able to manually enter a registration, but stop them
if it matches one of the entries within the data array - is this possible??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Does Debra's example file help
http://www.contextures.com/DataValPlayerInnings.zip

--
Regards
Roger Govier

SNA400 wrote:
My original problem is listedbelow

I am using Data Validation for selected vehicles on runs, but I need to stop
people assigning a duplicate registration for seperate runs.
The list for the data validation is in cells D91 to D120 and the entries are
made in cells H3 to H47

ALSO - on the same sheet I need to stop people using the vehicle
Registrations from the validation in cells H48 to H60 - can I use the same
validation list or do I have to set it up again

I have used all the info from http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal03.html to
sucessfully create a dropdown that doesn't show a duplicate entry, but i need
to allow the users to be able to manually enter a registration, but stop them
if it matches one of the entries within the data array - is this possible??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using Data Validation via an array to stop manual entries - po

Hi Roger, thanks for the reply

This doesn't work for my situation because we cannot fix the registration,
it varies day to day on the manual area

I think I had better expain this in a different way

We have fixed runs to certain locations using fixed core vehicles on the
spreadsheet from cells A2 to A25 - this has been covered by the
xlDataVal03.html and I have set this up, the problem is in cells A30 to A40
we need to be able to manually enter a vehicle registration for an ad-hoc
run, but stop the user from entering a registration that is one of the fixed
ones in A2 - A25.
My question is how do I stop the users from entering a core registration
into the ad-hoc run cells and can I use the named range set up for the data
validation of cells A2-A25??
Confused? I know I have confused myself!!

Simon

SNA400 wrote:
My original problem is listedbelow

I am using Data Validation for selected vehicles on runs, but I need to stop
people assigning a duplicate registration for seperate runs.
The list for the data validation is in cells D91 to D120 and the entries are
made in cells H3 to H47

ALSO - on the same sheet I need to stop people using the vehicle
Registrations from the validation in cells H48 to H60 - can I use the same
validation list or do I have to set it up again

I have used all the info from http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal03.html to
sucessfully create a dropdown that doesn't show a duplicate entry, but i need
to allow the users to be able to manually enter a registration, but stop them
if it matches one of the entries within the data array - is this possible??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Simon
Confused? I know I have confused myself!!

Yes!!

Do you ant to send me a copy of the workbook, and I'll see if I can
figure out a solution.
Is VBA permissible for you?
To mail direct
roger at technology4u dot co dot uk
Change the at and dots to make valid email address.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

SNA400 wrote:
My original problem is listedbelow

I am using Data Validation for selected vehicles on runs, but I need to stop
people assigning a duplicate registration for seperate runs.
The list for the data validation is in cells D91 to D120 and the entries are
made in cells H3 to H47

ALSO - on the same sheet I need to stop people using the vehicle
Registrations from the validation in cells H48 to H60 - can I use the same
validation list or do I have to set it up again

I have used all the info from http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal03.html to
sucessfully create a dropdown that doesn't show a duplicate entry, but i need
to allow the users to be able to manually enter a registration, but stop them
if it matches one of the entries within the data array - is this possible??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Roger

Thanks for your help, I have had a look again at this problem and realised
that if the depot use a 'Core' vehicle for a second run they need to be able
to report it!

Thanks again for your help

Hi Simon