DianeMcP

Default Using Data Validation - how do I allow other entries

I've tried a few different settings for the Data Validation Column, and I
have been unable to allow entry of other items into the Column. I've got a
number of "Subjects" that are being used and with Data Validation I created a
pull-down list to use withn that column. However, I want to be able to add a
subject that is not in the pull-down list and I'm getting an error saying
it's not permitted.

How do I allow for subjects that are not in the pull-down - without having
to add them to the list?
--
Thanks,
Diane
Bernie Deitrick

On the third tab of the data validation dialog box ("Error Alert"), uncheck the box "Show error
alert after involid data is entered"

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"DianeMcP" wrote in message
I've tried a few different settings for the Data Validation Column, and I
have been unable to allow entry of other items into the Column. I've got a
number of "Subjects" that are being used and with Data Validation I created a
pull-down list to use withn that column. However, I want to be able to add a
subject that is not in the pull-down list and I'm getting an error saying
it's not permitted.

How do I allow for subjects that are not in the pull-down - without having
to add them to the list?
--
Thanks,
Diane

DianeMcP

That worked!
--
Thanks,
Diane

"Bernie Deitrick" wrote:

On the third tab of the data validation dialog box ("Error Alert"), uncheck the box "Show error alert after invalid data is entered"

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"DianeMcP" wrote in message
I've tried a few different settings for the Data Validation Column, and I
have been unable to allow entry of other items into the Column. I've got a
number of "Subjects" that are being used and with Data Validation I created a
pull-down list to use withn that column. However, I want to be able to add a
subject that is not in the pull-down list and I'm getting an error saying
it's not permitted.

How do I allow for subjects that are not in the pull-down - without having
to add them to the list?
--
Thanks,
Diane

DianeMcP

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound that way.....thought I had already tried
everything.
I was more "excited" than surprised that it worked.
:)
--
Thanks,
Diane