Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLookUp Question

Hi is there any quick way of knowing what columns hold what information while
doing a vlookup - I mean the index number? For example, in a small array of
data there is no need as I can see quite clearly all the columns and know how
many index numbers are visible but what if my array consisted of a huge
amount of columns do I need to keep scrolling back and forth???

Many thanks
--
Kind regards

Ann Shaw
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Annie,

I don't know if the following will help or if you will find it too much of a
hassle. if the Table array starts in column A then you could nest the Column
function like the following.

=VLOOKUP(J2,$A$1:$G$32,COLUMN(F:F),FALSE)

If the table array does not start on column A then the following will
calculate a column number of the table array where D is the first column of
the table array and H is the required column.

=VLOOKUP(M2,$D$2:$J$33,COLUMN(H:H)-COLUMN(D:D)+1,FALSE)

OssieMac