Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default need help with a solution - maybe vlookup?

Hi, I have a list of documents with unique IDs that were delivered;
electronically, posted or faxed. There are duplicates in the ID column
because some docs were posted AND sent electronically - I need to isolate ID
numbers that are duplicated by multiple-delivery methods. Can a vlookup do
this?
very much a newbie with lookup, and the list is very big...
thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You want Countif. If your IDs are in column A, use:
=Countif(A:A,a1)
and copy down.

Any result more than one means a duplicated ID.

Regards,
Fred

"Noetic76" wrote in message
Hi, I have a list of documents with unique IDs that were delivered;
electronically, posted or faxed. There are duplicates in the ID column
because some docs were posted AND sent electronically - I need to isolate
ID
numbers that are duplicated by multiple-delivery methods. Can a vlookup do
this?
very much a newbie with lookup, and the list is very big...
thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Noetic,

Use a formula like

=IF(COUNTIF(A:A,A2)1,"Duplicate","")

in cell B2, and copy down. Then you can filter or sort to find the
Duplicated values in column A.

If your list of IDs is in column E, then you would use

=IF(COUNTIF(E:E,E2)1,"Duplicate","")

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP