Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JPS JPS is offline

Default Is the solution Vlookup?

I asked a previous question but did not get the answer I was seeking so I am
restating the situation. Following is the situation and I am seeking advice
on the best approach to accomplish what I need.

I am using Excel 2003. I have a spreadsheet with about 150 columns and 1000
rows. I need to create spreadsheets that containing specific columns in the
€śMaster€ť based on values in column P. In the €śMaster€ť, I can create a dummy
column A and copy data from P to A. The €śMaster€ť contains some confidential
data so I cannot simply hide columns/rows and then distribute the spreadsheet.

For example when I find an €śS€ť in column A, I need J, K, DG, DF, P and
DI-DM, copied to a new (spreadsheet). Of the 1000 rows, about 100 contain an
S. I tried a vlookup, for an €śS€ť in column but the new spreadsheet contained
900 zero value rows. I am graphing the new spreadsheet and the 900 rows with
no data are distorting the graph. Once the new spreadsheet is created, I
could manually manipulate the data, but I need to create several
spreadsheets. With the deadlines, I need the spreadsheets to as €śReport
Ready€ť as possible.

I think the vlookup is a potential solution, but I can I avoid the zero
value rows. Any other thoughts/suggestions to meet the objective?

--
JPS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think the best solution would be a macro which you run whenever you
want to create the report - perhaps posting in the .programming group
might yield more solutions.

To overcome the problem with the zero value items, you could apply a
custom filter to that column, selecting Not Equal To 0 (zero), so you
will only be displaying the non-zero items and the graph will adjust
accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On May 15, 8:36*am, JPS wrote:
I asked a previous question but did not get the answer I was seeking so I am
restating the situation. Following is the situation and I am seeking advice
on the best approach to accomplish what I need.

I am using Excel 2003. I have a spreadsheet with about 150 columns and 1000
rows. I need to create spreadsheets that containing specific columns in the
“Master” based on values in column P. In the “Master”, I can create a dummy
column A and copy data from P to A. The “Master” contains some confidential
data so I cannot simply hide columns/rows and then distribute the spreadsheet.

For example when I find an “S” in column A, I need J, K, DG, DF, P and
DI-DM, copied to a new (spreadsheet). *Of the 1000 rows, about 100 contain an
S. I tried a vlookup, for an “S” in column but the new spreadsheet contained
900 zero value rows. I am graphing the new spreadsheet and the 900 rows with
no data are distorting the graph. Once the new spreadsheet is created, I
could manually manipulate the data, but I need to create several
spreadsheets. With the deadlines, I need the spreadsheets to as “Report
Ready” as possible.