Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lookup and return value

I have 2 worksheets, W1 has a unique id that I need to place on W2, if the
names match.

If name matches from W1, then place Unique ID on W2

Worksheet 1 - 2 columns

Unique Id Name
100 Little
200 Smith
201 Blue
303 Yellow

Worksheet 2 - 2 columns - Need to display Id

Name ID
Little
Yellow
Blue
Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On worksheet 2, cell b2:

=INDEX('Worksheet 1'!A:A,MATCH(A2,'Worksheet 1'!B:B,0))

With error trapping:
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,'Worksheet 1'!B:B,0)),INDEX('Worksheet
1'!A:A,MATCH(A2,'Worksheet 1'!B:B,0)),"")
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Krista" wrote:

I have 2 worksheets, W1 has a unique id that I need to place on W2, if the
names match.

If name matches from W1, then place Unique ID on W2

Worksheet 1 - 2 columns

Unique Id Name
100 Little
200 Smith
201 Blue
303 Yellow

Worksheet 2 - 2 columns - Need to display Id

Name ID
Little
Yellow
Blue
Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One other way, try this

Assuming your name start in A2 of Sheet 2, place this formula in B2 and copy
down
Take note that this formula requires that you sort your source data
ascending for it
to work.

=LOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$5,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5)

Adjust the range to suit yours.
--
Hope this help

Please click the Yes button below if this post have helped in your needs

Thank You

cheers, francis

"Krista" wrote:

I have 2 worksheets, W1 has a unique id that I need to place on W2, if the
names match.

If name matches from W1, then place Unique ID on W2

Worksheet 1 - 2 columns

Unique Id Name
100 Little
200 Smith
201 Blue
303 Yellow

Worksheet 2 - 2 columns - Need to display Id

Name ID
Little
Yellow
Blue
Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Now I need to lookup two values, if they match return value.

Sheet 1
Cust Name Company Name ID

Sheet 2
Cust Name Company Name

I need to add the ID to Sheet 2 if the CustName & Company Name match give me
ID. Can you help.

"Krista" wrote:

I have 2 worksheets, W1 has a unique id that I need to place on W2, if the
names match.

If name matches from W1, then place Unique ID on W2

Worksheet 1 - 2 columns

Unique Id Name
100 Little
200 Smith
201 Blue
303 Yellow

Worksheet 2 - 2 columns - Need to display Id

Name ID
Little
Yellow
Blue
Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I need to lookup two values in Sheet 1, if they match Sheet 2 then return
value.

Sheet 1
Column A = CustName Column B = Company Name Column C = Id

Sheet 2
Column A = custname Column B - Company name Column C = need to add ID

Can you help. Thanks

"Krista" wrote:

I have 2 worksheets, W1 has a unique id that I need to place on W2, if the
names match.

If name matches from W1, then place Unique ID on W2

Worksheet 1 - 2 columns

Unique Id Name
100 Little
200 Smith
201 Blue
303 Yellow

Worksheet 2 - 2 columns - Need to display Id

Name ID
Little
Yellow
Blue
Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this array formula (Ctrl+Shift+Enter)

=index(sheet1!$A$2:$C$50,match(1,(sheet1!$A$2:$A$5 0=A2)*(sheet1!$B$2:$B$50=B2),0),3)

A2 has the customer name on sheet2
B2 has the company name on sheet2

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Krista" wrote:

I have 2 worksheets, W1 has a unique id that I need to place on W2, if
the
names match.

If name matches from W1, then place Unique ID on W2

Worksheet 1 - 2 columns

Unique Id Name
100 Little
200 Smith
201 Blue
303 Yellow

Worksheet 2 - 2 columns - Need to display Id

Name ID
Little
Yellow
Blue
Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are welcome. For understanding formulas, refer to Excel's Help menu and
post questions in forums

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com