Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Combining spreadsheets

This is probably an easy answer but I'm not too good with Excel so
apologies in advance. I have a spreadsheet of approximately 10,000
product codes and descriptions. I have a second spreadsheet showing
just those with sales to their name (approx 6,000). What is the
easiest way to get the sales alongside the relevant codes on the
original spreadsheet? I imagine this is some kind of vlookup but I am
rubbish with them so a very simplistic (non technical) explanation
would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Version: Microsoft Excel 2007
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When you say "spreadsheet" do you mean a separate workbook or another
sheet in the same workbook as the original? The syntax of the formula
to use will differ depending on your setup.

Also, if you want a specific answer that you can just paste into your
sheet, you should give details of the sheetnames that you use,
together with details of the columns used in both sheets and the cell
you want the formula to go in.

Pete

On Dec 15, 4:56*pm, grim72 wrote:
This is probably an easy answer but I'm not too good with Excel so
apologies in advance. I have a spreadsheet of approximately 10,000
product codes and descriptions. I have a second spreadsheet showing
just those with sales to their name (approx 6,000). What is the
easiest way to get the sales alongside the relevant codes on the
original spreadsheet? I imagine this is some kind of vlookup but I am
rubbish with them so a very simplistic (non technical) explanation
would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Version: Microsoft Excel 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Dec 15, 4:56*pm, grim72 wrote:

This is probably an easy answer but I'm not too good with Excel so
apologies in advance. I have a spreadsheet of approximately 10,000
product codes and descriptions. I have a second spreadsheet showing
just those with sales to their name (approx 6,000). What is the
easiest way to get the sales alongside the relevant codes on the
original spreadsheet? I imagine this is some kind of vlookup but I am
rubbish with them so a very simplistic (non technical) explanation
would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Version: Microsoft Excel 2007

OK, hopefully this explains it better: I would probably just use the
same spreadsheet on 2 seperate worksheets:

eg of Worksheet1 eg
of Worksheet2
Code Description Page
Code Description Quantity Value
12061L Book A 41
12061G Book B 54 £200
11738G Book Z 26
12061L Book A 23 £120

What I want is to show:
Code Description Page Quantity Value
12061G Book B 54 £200
12061L Book A 41 23 £120
11738G Book Z 26 0 £0

Obviously this is a simple explanation, as there will be over 10,000
codes in total. Hopefully this makes it easier to answer?