Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Probability help

-- I am working a major project in my statistics class and have hit a snag.
I have 4 questions that require me to use and show Excel functions (formulas)
in my worksheet. I can not seem to find the correct way to input formulas
for the probability of the following information:

I need to find the probability of a number greather to or equal to 7
I need to find the probability of numbers less than or equal to 50K
I need to find the probability of numbers between 150K and 250K
I need to find the probability of numbers less than 49K

I have empirical data sets for to use to find all of the above information
but can't seem to find the proper formulas. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP.

--
Derrick L. Maruski
Derrick L. Maruski
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

We don't generally do homework questions for students.
What did your class tell you about how to calculate probability?
Tell us in words what you are trying to calculate, then see whether Excel
help tells you anything relevant. If there is something specific that you
don't understand, then please come back with a more specific question.
--
David Biddulph

"Mr_Maruski" wrote in message

-- I am working a major project in my statistics class and have hit a
snag.
I have 4 questions that require me to use and show Excel functions
(formulas)
in my worksheet. I can not seem to find the correct way to input formulas
for the probability of the following information:

I need to find the probability of a number greather to or equal to 7
I need to find the probability of numbers less than or equal to 50K
I need to find the probability of numbers between 150K and 250K
I need to find the probability of numbers less than 49K

I have empirical data sets for to use to find all of the above information
but can't seem to find the proper formulas. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP.

--
Derrick L. Maruski
Derrick L. Maruski

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

All your questions can be answered using the same technique. For example, if
we have data in A1 thru A1000 and pick a sample at random:

=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"6")/1000

is the probability the value is greater than or equal to 7. Same approach
for the other cases.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"Mr_Maruski" wrote:

-- I am working a major project in my statistics class and have hit a snag.
I have 4 questions that require me to use and show Excel functions (formulas)
in my worksheet. I can not seem to find the correct way to input formulas
for the probability of the following information:

I need to find the probability of a number greather to or equal to 7
I need to find the probability of numbers less than or equal to 50K
I need to find the probability of numbers between 150K and 250K
I need to find the probability of numbers less than 49K

I have empirical data sets for to use to find all of the above information
but can't seem to find the proper formulas. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP.

--
Derrick L. Maruski
Derrick L. Maruski

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

As a matter of interest, why =COUNTIF(A1:A10,"6") and not
=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"=7") ?

The answers would, of course, be the same if all the numbers are integers,
but the OP didn't say that they were integer, and we wouldn't want to
confuse him.
--
David Biddulph