Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default INDIRECT doesn't retain data from external worksheets

I'm using the INDIRECT function to bring in data from other spreadsheets.
Using this allows me to just populate a cell and automatically point to a new
spreadsheet (I have dozens of spreadsheets that hold similar data, and dozens
of formulas that pull that data over, so I don't want to manually edit all
the formulas).

However, it appears that when I use this, the file that it points to needs
to be open. I have a fully qualified path ("C:\Documents and
Settings\......"), so I don't understand why the document needs to be open.
If I don't use INDIRECT, and manually edit the text, it does not require the
spreadsheet to be open.

Is this correct behavior? If so, is there a workaround?

Thanks,

Pete
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Unfortunately, this is correct behavior. INDIRECT does not function on
unopened external workbooks.

Possible workaround:
If you did create linking formulas that references the external workbook
directly, you can quickly change the link source from the Edit - Links
dialogue. No need to "manually edit" all the formulas.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"PeteJ" wrote:

I'm using the INDIRECT function to bring in data from other spreadsheets.
Using this allows me to just populate a cell and automatically point to a new
spreadsheet (I have dozens of spreadsheets that hold similar data, and dozens
of formulas that pull that data over, so I don't want to manually edit all
the formulas).

However, it appears that when I use this, the file that it points to needs
to be open. I have a fully qualified path ("C:\Documents and
Settings\......"), so I don't understand why the document needs to be open.
If I don't use INDIRECT, and manually edit the text, it does not require the
spreadsheet to be open.

Is this correct behavior? If so, is there a workaround?

Thanks,

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See this: