Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default INDIRECT doesn't retain data from external worksheets

See this:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...443753560f0075

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"PeteJ" wrote in message
I'm using the INDIRECT function to bring in data from other spreadsheets.
Using this allows me to just populate a cell and automatically point to a
new
spreadsheet (I have dozens of spreadsheets that hold similar data, and
dozens
of formulas that pull that data over, so I don't want to manually edit all
the formulas).

However, it appears that when I use this, the file that it points to needs
to be open. I have a fully qualified path ("C:\Documents and
Settings\......"), so I don't understand why the document needs to be
open.
If I don't use INDIRECT, and manually edit the text, it does not require
the
spreadsheet to be open.

Is this correct behavior? If so, is there a workaround?

Thanks,

Pete