Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Returning date instead of 'not null'

Greetings all. I am trying to get a return in an "IF" statement only if the
cell has a date in it. The cell has a formula that pulls from a third cell.
How do I get a response only if a date has been filled in?

=IF(ISBLANK('TRACKER '!$AR7),'TRACKER '!$B7,"")

Cell $AR7 has a formula in it that scans a range of cells and fills in a
date if they are all populated. The above formula always leaves a blank
because of the formula in the AR7 cell.

Suggstions?

Thanks, Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use this instead

=IF('TRACKER '!$AR7="",'TRACKER '!$B7,"")

ISBLANK only works for empty cells not cells with formulas

Peo Sjoblom

"Skeeterj" wrote in message
Greetings all. I am trying to get a return in an "IF" statement only if
the
cell has a date in it. The cell has a formula that pulls from a third
cell.
How do I get a response only if a date has been filled in?

=IF(ISBLANK('TRACKER '!$AR7),'TRACKER '!$B7,"")

Cell $AR7 has a formula in it that scans a range of cells and fills in a
date if they are all populated. The above formula always leaves a blank
because of the formula in the AR7 cell.

Suggstions?

Thanks, Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the formula in AR7 returns a formula blank then the ISBLANK function
evaluates to FALSE.

ISBLANK is incorrectly named. It should've been named ISEMPTY. There is a
difference between an empty cell and a "blank" cell although Excel seems to
think they're the same sometimes!!!

Try it like this:

=IF(COUNT('TRACKER'!$AR7),'TRACKER'!$B7,"")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Skeeterj" wrote in message
Greetings all. I am trying to get a return in an "IF" statement only if
the
cell has a date in it. The cell has a formula that pulls from a third
cell.
How do I get a response only if a date has been filled in?

=IF(ISBLANK('TRACKER '!$AR7),'TRACKER '!$B7,"")

Cell $AR7 has a formula in it that scans a range of cells and fills in a
date if they are all populated. The above formula always leaves a blank
because of the formula in the AR7 cell.

Suggstions?

Thanks, Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ISBLANK() will not return true if you have a formula in that cell. Try

=IF(ISNUMBER('TRACKER '!$AR7),'TRACKER '!$B7,"")

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria