Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF ISBLANK Function

Hi,

It is possible to use If ISBLANK to find a blank cell lest say Y39 and if it
is blank inout the text Month Unknown into the cell?

If so please tell me what is the syntax as I ahve tried and no luck...if not
can you offer an alternative?

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you mean

=IF(Y39="","Month Unknown","")

'If you have date in Y39
=IF(Y39,TEXT(Y39,"mmmm"),"Month Unknown")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"TDMP" wrote:

Hi,

It is possible to use If ISBLANK to find a blank cell lest say Y39 and if it
is blank inout the text Month Unknown into the cell?

If so please tell me what is the syntax as I ahve tried and no luck...if not
can you offer an alternative?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you have a formula returning a blank "" then ISBLANK will not identify
that as a blank cell..
=IF(ISBLANK(Y39),"Month Unknown","")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"TDMP" wrote:

Hi,

It is possible to use If ISBLANK to find a blank cell lest say Y39 and if it
is blank inout the text Month Unknown into the cell?

If so please tell me what is the syntax as I ahve tried and no luck...if not
can you offer an alternative?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Jacob,

Just so I am clear...I have cells that have months based on a date but some
of the dates are blank hence no month will show...I want to be able to put
the words Month Unknown into the blank cells so when I chart by month those
blanks will say Month Unknown

"TDMP" wrote:

Hi,

It is possible to use If ISBLANK to find a blank cell lest say Y39 and if it
is blank inout the text Month Unknown into the cell?

If so please tell me what is the syntax as I ahve tried and no luck...if not
can you offer an alternative?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the column. Press function key F5.Click 'Special'check 'Blanks' and
hit OK..
This will select all blank cells in the range..Keeping the selection type
'Month Unknow' and hit Ctrl+Enter..

If these cells have formulas then modify the formula to return 'Month blank'
if a month cannot be returned

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"TDMP" wrote:

Hi,

It is possible to use If ISBLANK to find a blank cell lest say Y39 and if it
is blank inout the text Month Unknown into the cell?

If so please tell me what is the syntax as I ahve tried and no luck...if not
can you offer an alternative?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hmm...I can do that but im looking for an automatic method since the data
sheet will be constantly updated..so I need a formula that will always look
for blanks and then write the text in the cells if it finds a blank cell..