Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default ISBLANK FUNCTION

I am using ISBLANK in a formula and it keeps returning "false" when it should
be returning "true", because (SHEET1!CD15) is blank. What could be causing
this problem?

This is my formula: =IF(ISBLANK(Sheet1!CD15),"",Sheet1!BU6)

Thanks, Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you have a formula in CD15 then it is not blank and Excel will return
FALSE

Try this instead

=IF(Sheet1!CD15="","",Sheet1!BU6)

If you don't have a formula in CD15 then you must have invisible characters
in the cell

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
(Remove ^^ from email)

"Bill R" wrote in message
I am using ISBLANK in a formula and it keeps returning "false" when it
should
be returning "true", because (SHEET1!CD15) is blank. What could be causing
this problem?

This is my formula: =IF(ISBLANK(Sheet1!CD15),"",Sheet1!BU6)

Thanks, Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Bill

Try
=LEN(CD15)
If it is 0, then there is nothing in the cell. If greater than 0, then
there is something there.
If you use
=CODE(CD15)
then if it contains a space it will return 32, or the ascii code for the
character that is there.
It will return #VALUE if the cell is empty.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Bill R" wrote in message
I am using ISBLANK in a formula and it keeps returning "false" when
it
should
be returning "true", because (SHEET1!CD15) is blank. What could be
causing
this problem?

This is my formula: =IF(ISBLANK(Sheet1!CD15),"",Sheet1!BU6)

Thanks, Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just 2 cents. If A1 just has an apostrophe '
=ISBLANK(A1) returns False, but
=LEN(A1) returns 0.

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Office 2007

"Bill R" wrote in message
I am using ISBLANK in a formula and it keeps returning "false" when it
should
be returning "true", because (SHEET1!CD15) is blank. What could be
causing
this problem?

This is my formula: =IF(ISBLANK(Sheet1!CD15),"",Sheet1!BU6)

Thanks, Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Dana

Thanks for drawing my attention to that. I had not realised it returned
0 length.
Equally, =CODE(A1) returns #VALUE.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Bill R" wrote in message
I am using ISBLANK in a formula and it keeps returning "false"
when it
should
be returning "true", because (SHEET1!CD15) is blank. What could
be causing
this problem?

This is my formula: =IF(ISBLANK(Sheet1!CD15),"",Sheet1!BU6)

Thanks, Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Roger. Another interesting variation is that both return True below if
A1 just has an apostrophe '

Sub Demo()
Debug.Print [A1] = ""
Debug.Print [A1].PrefixCharacter < ""
End Sub

Returns:
True
True

--
Dana DeLouis

"Bill R" wrote in message
I am using ISBLANK in a formula and it keeps returning "false" when
it
should
be returning "true", because (SHEET1!CD15) is blank. What could be
causing
this problem?

This is my formula: =IF(ISBLANK(Sheet1!CD15),"",Sheet1!BU6)

Thanks, Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Dana

From XL2007 VBA Help
If the TransitionNavigKeys property is False, this prefix character will
be ' for a text label, or blank.

Since the leading apostrophe sets the cell to Text format, then the
second True in your code is to be expected.