Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default "Save As" Max file size?

Hi guys, This is gunna seem like a really dumb question,,,

But, In Excel 2003 is there a max file size which you can use "save as".
I have a workbook which I wish to make read only but the save as function
always causes excel to "Not Responding".
On smaller workbooks it works fine.
Is it just my workstation can't cope with it or could there be some other
issue?
I can copy the closed file and rename no problem.
Is there another way to create a 'Read Only' file?

Thanks for your understanding and assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can do it programmatically.

SaveAs has a ReadOnlyRecommended property which you can set to True.
This is the feature that, when you open a workbook, asks if you want
to open the file as read only.

Or, if you want the file to be read-only from a disk-writing
perspective, the SetAttr function can do this.

SetAttr workbookname, vbReadOnly

Where "workbookname" is the path and filename of the workbook you just
saved and want to write-protect.

--JP

On Oct 15, 11:25*am, Sklyn wrote:
Hi guys, This is gunna seem like a really dumb question,,,

But, In Excel 2003 is there a max file size which you can use "save as".
I have a workbook which I wish to make read only but the save as function
always causes excel to "Not Responding".
On smaller workbooks it works fine.
Is it just my workstation can't cope with it or could there be some other
issue?
I can copy the closed file and rename no problem.
Is there another way to create a 'Read Only' file?

Thanks for your understanding and assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sounds like your file may have lots of formulas and such?

You CAN save as, then hit the Esc key. It will ask if you want to
recaluclate before saving, and you can say no.

Then, you can do whatever you need...

Another option is to put a pasword on the file (Tools Options Security).

anyone who attempts to open the file will be asked for the password with the
option of selecting Read Only instead.

*Please note, Excel security is limited. If someone REALLY wants to break
the security, they can.

"Sklyn" wrote:

Hi guys, This is gunna seem like a really dumb question,,,

But, In Excel 2003 is there a max file size which you can use "save as".
I have a workbook which I wish to make read only but the save as function
always causes excel to "Not Responding".
On smaller workbooks it works fine.
Is it just my workstation can't cope with it or could there be some other
issue?
I can copy the closed file and rename no problem.
Is there another way to create a 'Read Only' file?

Thanks for your understanding and assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yeah there are a lot of formulas and links to other sheets etc.
Esc is not working for me..
Its fine when I open save as and set my options, but after I hit save
nothing else responds?

"Sklyn" wrote:

Hi guys, This is gunna seem like a really dumb question,,,

But, In Excel 2003 is there a max file size which you can use "save as".
I have a workbook which I wish to make read only but the save as function
always causes excel to "Not Responding".
On smaller workbooks it works fine.
Is it just my workstation can't cope with it or could there be some other
issue?
I can copy the closed file and rename no problem.
Is there another way to create a 'Read Only' file?

Thanks for your understanding and assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your help,

What is the SetAttr Function? and how do I use it?
I am more curious about Save As not working though..

Cheers

On Oct 15, 11:25 am, Sklyn wrote:
Hi guys, This is gunna seem like a really dumb question,,,

But, In Excel 2003 is there a max file size which you can use "save as".
I have a workbook which I wish to make read only but the save as function
always causes excel to "Not Responding".
On smaller workbooks it works fine.
Is it just my workstation can't cope with it or could there be some other
issue?
I can copy the closed file and rename no problem.
Is there another way to create a 'Read Only' file?

Thanks for your understanding and assistance.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It's a VBA function you can use to make a disk file read-only. You
would run it after you save the workbook. See
http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/formulas/setattr.php

To use it, you would need to create a function and put it in a
standard module in your VB IDE. For information on where to put the
function, see http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

--JP

"JP" wrote:
You can do it programmatically.

SaveAs has a ReadOnlyRecommended property which you can set to True.
This is the feature that, when you open a workbook, asks if you want
to open the file as read only.

Or, if you want the file to be read-only from a disk-writing
perspective, the SetAttr function can do this.

SetAttr workbookname, vbReadOnly

Where "workbookname" is the path and filename of the workbook you just
saved and want to write-protect.

--JP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Welcome!