Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to change cell background color as part of the If statement?

I have a spread sheet that I have set up to use for my home budget. In doing
this I would much like to visually see when a budgeted item has exceeded the
allowable cost by having the background color of that cell to change to the
color red if the cost exceeds the set amount.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Say the allowable cost is in A1 and the actual cost is in B1.

Click on B1 and:

Format Conditional Formatting... Formula Is

=B1A1

then pick the red background (but not too dark)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200904

"Jim H" wrote:

I have a spread sheet that I have set up to use for my home budget. In doing
this I would much like to visually see when a budgeted item has exceeded the
allowable cost by having the background color of that cell to change to the
color red if the cost exceeds the set amount.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try Format Conditional formatting Cell value is Greater than =C1
Format Patterns -select red OK your way out.

Assumes you are formatting G1 and C1 is the allowable cost. When G1 exceeds
C1 you get a RED G1.

HTH
Regards,
Howard