Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Maximum number of data validation cells?

Hi all, I'm setting up a largeish questionnaire in Excel 2003. So far it has
15 tabs, and a number of these tabs include some questions in multiple choice
format (e.g., agree, disagree, or unsure). I'm using data validation to
create these, and despite my limited skills it was all going well until the
most recent drop-down menu failed to work. I tried re-creating it and it
still didn't work. I copied and pasted it into a new spreadsheet and it
worked fine. Does Excel have a maximum number of data validation cells that
you can create? If so, can anyoen suggest a work-around for this?

Thanks for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

From past experience, think its a bug which breaks the DV functionality in a
particular sheet. Don't know the sheet/book? limits before this phenomena
happens, though, but I did recollect having a couple of thousand cells in
various cols with DVs when it happened to me. It seems trying "Open and
Repair" option* might help to revive/restore the affected sheet's DV normal
functionality. It's always good to practice backing-up important files
frequently.

*Click FileOpen, then click the little dropdown to the right of "Open" in
the dialog for the options
--
Max
Singapore
"Stuart" wrote:
Hi all, I'm setting up a largeish questionnaire in Excel 2003. So far it has
15 tabs, and a number of these tabs include some questions in multiple choice
format (e.g., agree, disagree, or unsure). I'm using data validation to
create these, and despite my limited skills it was all going well until the
most recent drop-down menu failed to work. I tried re-creating it and it
still didn't work. I copied and pasted it into a new spreadsheet and it
worked fine. Does Excel have a maximum number of data validation cells that
you can create? If so, can anyoen suggest a work-around for this?

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Max. Based on your advice I just created a new Sheet with the same
information, and deleted the old one, and it works fine. So, it must have
been a bug that affected only that one sheet. Problem solved (so far)!

From past experience, think its a bug which breaks the DV functionality in a