Rich F

Default Maximum number of data points for an xy scatter chart?

If I select a portion of the data I can draw an XY chart. When I select the
entire data range the chart automatically changes from an XY to a line chart,
even with XY specified. Is there a max number of data points an XY chart can
use? I am trying to compare the hourly average of 2 variables over a 1 year
period.
Phil Preen

Is there a max number of data points an XY chart can
use?

I think the maximum is 32000 points per series.
Rich F

Thanks Phil, that will be useful for future reference. I actually did
discover, just now, what my problem was. I had downloaded the data from
another source, and there was a blank cell amongst the data. This caused the
chart to change from an XY to a line chart as there was no "x" for the "y" at
that point. Thought I'd post this as it may be useful to others.

"Phil Preen" wrote:

Is there a max number of data points an XY chart can
use?

I think the maximum is 32000 points per series.

Jon Peltier

And 256000 total points per chart. These values are enough to turn a
chart into an undifferentiated mass, but I have a client who wants 1M+
points per chart!

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Phil Preen wrote:

Is there a max number of data points an XY chart can
use?

I think the maximum is 32000 points per series.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
WG WG is offline

"Phil Preen" wrote:

Is there a max number of data points an XY chart can
use?

I think the maximum is 32000 points per series.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

32000 points per series, 256000 points per chart.

Think about it. I just created a default chart in Excel 2003. The size
depends on monitor resolution and usable size of the active window, but in
any case, the chart area measured 428 x 257 points, and the plot area 370 *
241 points. That means 493 x 321 pixels, so the pixels in the chart area is
something like 158000, which includes the axis lines and plot area border.
Excel allows more data points than it has pixels in a chart. How are you
going to display them all?

- Jon
-------

"WG" wrote in message

"Phil Preen" wrote:

Is there a max number of data points an XY chart can
use?

I think the maximum is 32000 points per series.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have a question that is related to this. I have a line graph that contains
8000 points per series, and I have 2 series set up. And I know that the max
number of points per series is 32000 but I keep getting an error message
telling me the maximum number of points per series. Why is that? Does it
take into account the x-category as well? And even if it did I would still
only have 16000 "points" per series?