Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cells only display a maximum number of text characters

Because of the convenience of being able to filter, sort and hide rows and
columns, when using Excel instead of Word for creating documents with several
columns, I've noticed that even though "Format Cells Wrap text" is set, a
single cell will only display a maximum number of characters, maybe 1300 or
so (which may sound a lot!!). The same applies if the "spreadsheet" is
printed. How do I format the cell to allow an unlimited number of characters
to be displayed\printed?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A cell can contain up to 32,767 characters, but the number it can
*display* at any one time is limited by screen size/set up etc.

If you are wanting to display more then it appears you are not using
excel as a spreadsheet, but rather a word processor.

SteveMCFC wrote:
Because of the convenience of being able to filter, sort and hide rows and
columns, when using Excel instead of Word for creating documents with several
columns, I've noticed that even though "Format Cells Wrap text" is set, a
single cell will only display a maximum number of characters, maybe 1300 or
so (which may sound a lot!!). The same applies if the "spreadsheet" is
printed. How do I format the cell to allow an unlimited number of characters
to be displayed\printed?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To expand on what Jason said, the following is from "Excel specifications and
limits" in the help file (on my machine, using 2003)

"Length of cell contents (text): 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a
cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. "
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

SteveMCFC wrote:
Because of the convenience of being able to filter, sort and hide rows and
columns, when using Excel instead of Word for creating documents with several
columns, I've noticed that even though "Format Cells Wrap text" is set, a
single cell will only display a maximum number of characters, maybe 1300 or
so (which may sound a lot!!). The same applies if the "spreadsheet" is
printed. How do I format the cell to allow an unlimited number of characters
to be displayed\printed?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Guys. Reading another linked question, you CAN actually extend the
number of characters "displayed\printed" in a cell by pressing "Alt" and
"Enter" after every few lines. Using this "rule" you can pretty well display
all your text even if it runs into the thousands of characters. Thanks for
your replies, it is much appreciated!!