Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default To display number in text format in cells

I have a sequence of digits like
5026555306553

I entered in a cell and when the cursor left the cell it displays as
5.02656E+12

How do I set the cell or the whole spreadsheet to display as text rather
than this format?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Change the cell format to either:
Number
Accounting
or
Currency.
--
HTH,

RD

"Man T" wrote in message
I have a sequence of digits like
5026555306553

I entered in a cell and when the cursor left the cell it displays as
5.02656E+12

How do I set the cell or the whole spreadsheet to display as text rather
than this format?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Careful here, if you paste a number from a range onto a cell that is
formatted as text the number will be stored as a number not as text, unless
you tell it to paste values or paste formulas or basically you tell it to
paste without formatting.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Man T" wrote in message
I have a sequence of digits like
5026555306553

I entered in a cell and when the cursor left the cell it displays as
5.02656E+12

How do I set the cell or the whole spreadsheet to display as text rather
than this format?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the OP is *primarily* concerned with
displaying *all* the digits.

Off the top of my head, I can't immediately see a difference between the 2,
except for default left or right justification.
Or ... maybe not totaling with the Sum() function.

Can you think of some others?

RD

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote in
message ...

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Change the cell format to either:
Number
Accounting
or
Currency.
--
HTH,

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!
"Man T" wrote in message
I have a sequence of digits like
5026555306553

I entered in a cell and when the cursor left the cell it displays as
5.02656E+12

How do I set the cell or the whole spreadsheet to display as text
rather
than this format?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Just reading him literally:
"to display as text"

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Man T" wrote in message
I have a sequence of digits like
5026555306553

I entered in a cell and when the cursor left the cell it displays as
5.02656E+12

How do I set the cell or the whole spreadsheet to display as text
rather
than this format?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the OP is *primarily* concerned
with
displaying *all* the digits.

Off the top of my head, I can't immediately see a difference between the
2,
except for default left or right justification.
Or ... maybe not totaling with the Sum() function.

Yes, I just want to display the whole string of numbers as string or text
but not the exponential format.

The reason is the cell will contain a barcode or serial number that is all
numerics.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The General format will default to scientific notation when the digits
exceed 11.

Thanks for the feed-back.

RD