Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JCC JCC is offline

Default The result of a formula referring to a cell with formula as text?

Cell A1 content is "=B2". I want to reference A1 and get the contents of B2.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
not sure what you mean you can reference A1 in C1 just entering in c1

=A1

let's say B2 has a name Peter

with A1 having the formula =B2 will show Peter

if you enter in cell C1 the formula given it will show Peter as well

Cell A1 content is "=B2". I want to reference A1 and get the contents of B2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cell A1 content is "=B2".
--If you mean =B2 as text try the below formula

=INDIRECT(MID(A1,2,LEN(A1)))

--If you mean formula =B2
=A1

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

Cell A1 content is "=B2". I want to reference A1 and get the contents of B2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JCC JCC is offline

Default The result of a formula referring to a cell with formula as te

Your answer is correct, but I didn't ask the right question. I simplified my
question too much. If I have a formula as text in A1 (i.e. "=AL60") how do
I see the result of that formula by referencing A1?

Cell A1 content is "=B2". I want to reference A1 and get the contents of B2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can reference a cell using INDIRECT but not the greater than sign..

A1 = '=A6'
=INDIRECT(MID(A1,2,LEN(A1))) 0

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"JCC" wrote:

Cell A1 content is "=B2". I want to reference A1 and get the contents of B2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe something like this could work (as long as the result is true/false):

A1 = "AL6"
B1 = ""
C1 = "0"

(all without the quotes)

=COUNTIF(INDIRECT(A1),B1&C1)

Cell A1 content is "=B2". I want to reference A1 and get the contents of B2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Text in A1 '=AL60 exactly as I have written

AL6 contains 123

In A2 enter =EvalCell(A1)

Returns TRUE

EvalCell is a UDF which will copy to a general module in your workbook.

Function EvalCell(RefCell As String)
Application.Volatile
EvalCell = Evaluate(RefCell)
End Function

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"JCC" wrote:

Cell A1 content is "=B2". I want to reference A1 and get the contents of B2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Read my post.

I provided it.

Gord

"JCC" wrote:

Cell A1 content is "=B2". I want to reference A1 and get the contents of B2.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

--

Dave Peterson