Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula for adding cells in different rows and different columns

I have a lot of temps that work for me. Most of the time some of my temps
work for me every day, however, my temp force does change daily. I need a
formula that will total each temps hours for the week. It has to be on a
single worksheet since I have to turn submit it for verification.
Here's what I have:

A B D E G H J K
M N P Q
8/24/09 8/25/09 8/26/09 8/27/09 8/28/09 8/29/09
Jack 4 Craig 8 John 4 Jack 7 Debbie 9
Arnetta 6
Joe 6 Greg 8 Aaron 4 Joe 7 Jennifer 9 Joe 6
Bill 8 Les 8 Jason 4 Bill 5 Julie 9 Kelly
7
Sue 5 Chaz 8 Mike 4 Sue 3 Venus 9 Sue 7
Les 7 Melissa 8 Mark 4 Les 7 Agnes 9 Meliss 6
Sam 5 Bill 8 Jack 6 Sam 5 Brian 10 Sam
6
Arnetta 5 John 8 Joe 4 Arnetta 8 Bradley 10 Jack
6
Chaz 8 Aaron 8 Bill 4 Chaz 8 Curt 8 Chaz 6
Melissa 8 Jason 8 Sue 4 Doug
10 Les 7
Kelly 8 Mike 8 Les 6
Austin 8 Bill 7
John 8 Mark 8 Greg 4 Bill 8
John 7

Tina 10

Tanner 8 JT 8 PJ 8

I need: Column A will list each employee that worked during the week.
Column B needs to be the total hours worked by the employee listed in
Column A.

A B
Week Ending 8/29/09
Jack 23 (B2+H7+K2+Q8)
Joe 23 (B3+H8+K3+Q35)
Bill 40 (B4+E7+H9+K4+N12+Q11)
Sue
Les
Sam
Arnetta
Chaz
Melissa
Kelly
John
Craig
Greg
Aaron
Jason
Mike
Mark
Debbie
Jennifer
Julie
Venus
Agnes
Brian
Bradley
Curt
Doug
Austin
Tina
Tanner
JT
PJ
Total 86

I can't seem to get it. Not sure if I'm making it more difficult than it
really is or what, but I definitely need some help.

Thanks so much.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think life would be a lot easier for you if your hours-recording sheet was
laid out much like your total's sheet is laid out: Names down the sheet in
column A, dates across the top in row 1. Then you could simply put a formula
like:
=SUM(B2:F2) in column G and get the total hours for Jack and fill it down
and it would total up the others.

An alternative would be to put the names in A, but have the dates start in C
instead of B and put the =SUM(C2:G2) formula into column B. That would make
copying the name and total hours to another sheet very easy.

"Diogie" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula for adding cells in different rows and different colum

I merged the cells for the date so they're actually in AB DE GH etc. When I
sent this, it didn't stay in the correct format and everything got all
jumbled up.

Basically its a colum with names with total hours for the day next to the
appropriate person. I have to do this for the week. Since my temps change
frequently, I didn't want to have to hunt for each name. I was hoping just
to add the names that worked a particular day and their hours then be able to
get a total for the week. Guess I'll have to keep showing everyone whether
they worked that day or not. Thanks for the help though.

"Diogie" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 15:43:01 -0700, Diogie
wrote:

I merged the cells for the date so they're actually in AB DE GH etc. When I
sent this, it didn't stay in the correct format and everything got all
jumbled up.

Basically its a colum with names with total hours for the day next to the
appropriate person. I have to do this for the week. Since my temps change
frequently, I didn't want to have to hunt for each name. I was hoping just
to add the names that worked a particular day and their hours then be able to
get a total for the week. Guess I'll have to keep showing everyone whether
they worked that day or not. Thanks for the help though.

I have some time log sheets on the Microsoft templates page:

Others do as well... some that do exactly what you describe...

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...060381033.aspx

Or

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT101172771033

Instead of jobs and a single employee, you could track employees and
daily attendance as well.

Interesting twist on my sheet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'll give this a shot...hopefully it'll work for me. It should be on one
page so it should meet the requirement of a single page that I have to
submit. Thanks so much.