Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default formula for adding cells in different rows and different columns

I think life would be a lot easier for you if your hours-recording sheet was
laid out much like your total's sheet is laid out: Names down the sheet in
column A, dates across the top in row 1. Then you could simply put a formula
like:
=SUM(B2:F2) in column G and get the total hours for Jack and fill it down
and it would total up the others.

An alternative would be to put the names in A, but have the dates start in C
instead of B and put the =SUM(C2:G2) formula into column B. That would make
copying the name and total hours to another sheet very easy.

"Diogie" wrote:

I have a lot of temps that work for me. Most of the time some of my temps
work for me every day, however, my temp force does change daily. I need a
formula that will total each temps hours for the week. It has to be on a
single worksheet since I have to turn submit it for verification.
Here's what I have:

A B D E G H J K
M N P Q
8/24/09 8/25/09 8/26/09 8/27/09 8/28/09 8/29/09
Jack 4 Craig 8 John 4 Jack 7 Debbie 9
Arnetta 6
Joe 6 Greg 8 Aaron 4 Joe 7 Jennifer 9 Joe 6
Bill 8 Les 8 Jason 4 Bill 5 Julie 9 Kelly
7
Sue 5 Chaz 8 Mike 4 Sue 3 Venus 9 Sue 7
Les 7 Melissa 8 Mark 4 Les 7 Agnes 9 Meliss 6
Sam 5 Bill 8 Jack 6 Sam 5 Brian 10 Sam
6
Arnetta 5 John 8 Joe 4 Arnetta 8 Bradley 10 Jack
6
Chaz 8 Aaron 8 Bill 4 Chaz 8 Curt 8 Chaz 6
Melissa 8 Jason 8 Sue 4 Doug
10 Les 7
Kelly 8 Mike 8 Les 6
Austin 8 Bill 7
John 8 Mark 8 Greg 4 Bill 8
John 7

Tina 10

Tanner 8 JT 8 PJ 8

I need: Column A will list each employee that worked during the week.
Column B needs to be the total hours worked by the employee listed in
Column A.

A B
Week Ending 8/29/09
Jack 23 (B2+H7+K2+Q8)
Joe 23 (B3+H8+K3+Q35)
Bill 40 (B4+E7+H9+K4+N12+Q11)
Sue
Les
Sam
Arnetta
Chaz
Melissa
Kelly
John
Craig
Greg
Aaron
Jason
Mike
Mark
Debbie
Jennifer
Julie
Venus
Agnes
Brian
Bradley
Curt
Doug
Austin
Tina
Tanner
JT
PJ
Total 86

I can't seem to get it. Not sure if I'm making it more difficult than it
really is or what, but I definitely need some help.

Thanks so much.