Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Sort Doesn't Work

I am using MS Office Excel 2003 (11.8307.8221) SP3 on MS Windows XP
5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234: SP 3).

I have the following list of numbers.
C-B
0.044991
0.012016
0.027636
0.187865
0.01452
-0.104374

I try to sort them by highlighting them and choosing Data:Sort
Sort by C-B. Header row, TRUE.
The numbers remain unchanged.

What gives?

Many thanks in advance,
Peter.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Good chance that Excel sees the "numbers" as text, especially if copied from
somewhere else.

Select the numbers and DataText to ColumnsFinish

Try the sort again.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:29:36 -0700 (PDT), PeterOut
wrote:

I am using MS Office Excel 2003 (11.8307.8221) SP3 on MS Windows XP
5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234: SP 3).

I have the following list of numbers.
C-B
0.044991
0.012016
0.027636
0.187865
0.01452
-0.104374

I try to sort them by highlighting them and choosing Data:Sort
Sort by C-B. Header row, TRUE.
The numbers remain unchanged.

What gives?

Many thanks in advance,
Peter.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:

I am using MS Office Excel 2003 (11.8307.8221) SP3 on MS Windows XP
5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234: SP 3).

I have the following list of numbers.
C-B
0.044991
0.012016
0.027636
0.187865
0.01452
-0.104374

I try to sort them by highlighting them and choosing Data:Sort
Sort by C-B. Header row, TRUE.
The numbers remain unchanged.

What gives?

Many thanks in advance,
Peter.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately that did not work. I should
have mentioned that the data was in column I. I obtained the first
element with =$C2-$B2 and dragged the cursor down to get the remaining
elements in the column from the values in columns B and C.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Peter,

Excel is simply recalcing the formulas _after_ the sort and getting the same
values. Copy the cells then paste special values before the sort.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:

[...]

Didn't work for some reason. What option was I supposed to use for
paste special?

I managed to get it to sort by saving the page as a text file and then
reloading it so the numbers were just numbers rather than
derivations. I have managed to do it with derivations on another PC
so I don't know why it is not working here.

Thanks,
Peter.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Peter,

Select the cells that you want to sort, right-click and choose "Copy", then
right-click the same selected cells and choose "Paste Special..." -
click the button next to "Values" then press OK.

Then - do your sort.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

Didn't work for some reason. What option was I supposed to use for
paste special?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:29:36 -0700 (PDT), PeterOut
wrote:

0.044991
0.012016
0.027636
0.187865
0.01452
-0.104374

Works fine on mine.

Perhaps even though you changed the cell formatting to be proper, the
originally entered data is still text.

Cut and paste the list into notepad, and then copy and paste it back
into excel from there. That will strip any formatting, and paste only
numeric data into a numeric cell.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:

[...]

Because of the way they were originally entered from where you pasted
them, despite the cell formatting.

Hand enter them again, and that should change.