Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sum of a column from nth row to end

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't know the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Since it doesn't matter if you include blank or text cells in the SUM
function, why not:

=SUM(D3:D65536)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't know the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Luke,
I know I could do that but I was thinking whether we have some other options
if we don't want to sum that long.
I know we can sum a whole column using SUM(D:D) but you cannot place that
SUM in the same column.

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't know the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In article ,
itsAchint wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't know the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Try...

=SUM(D3:INDEX(D3:D65536,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+30 7,D3:D65536)))

--
Domenic
Microsoft Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Alternative ideas:

=SUM(OFFSET(D3,0,0,COUNT(D3:D65536),1))
Offset creates a range with height based on number of numbers in column D.

=SUM(INDIRECT("D3:D"&COUNT(D3:D65536)+3))
Indirect lets you manually create a reference, control row number via COUNT
in this example (but you could use a cell reference)

The SUM function is rather efficient however, so I would recommend just
going with that.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't know the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Select the numbers in column D (say in range D3:D12) and press Ctrl+L (to
convert the range to a list). Keep the box for "My data has header rows"
unchecked if D3 is not the header row. In cell D1, enter the formula
=sum(D3:D12). Now when you add data in D13, the sum will auto update.

This will only work with Excel 2003 and above.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"itsAchint" wrote in message
I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't know the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Didn't notice you wanted to place the total in Column D.

Try this:
=SUM(D3:INDEX(D3:D10000,MATCH(99^99,D3:D10000)))

RD

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
Try this:

=SUM(D3:INDEX(D:D,MATCH(99^99,D:D)))

--

HTH,

RD

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't know
the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know this for sure, but my "gut" tells me that Excel will stop at
the limits of what in the VBA world is know as the UsedRange. The UsedRange
is, theoretically, the maximum range of cells in use (I said theoretically,
because deleting cell content via VB code can some times leave the UsedRange
larger than it should be). Excel tracks the extent of the cells in use and
it seems unlikely it would permit a calculation to extend into what it
"knows" is a range of cells that can have no data. So, I would simply use
=SUM(D3:D65536) and not worry too much about it.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't know
the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Exactly!

In other words, if the last row that contains an entry is D100, Excel
doesn't bother checking cells D101:D65536. So there is no difference in
efficiency between these formulas:

=SUM(D3:D100)
=SUM(D3:D65536)

This does not apply to all functions/formulas, though!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't know
the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

SUMPRODUCT and any other array processing formulas will evaluate *every*
cell referenced by the formula.

In Excel 2007, something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A:A="x"),--(B:B="z"))

is "crazy" if you don't actually have data in every row.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"RagDyer" wrote in message
What about Sumproduct Biff?

RD

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't
know the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

So, are you saying that the first 2 formulas will evaluate differently then
the third?

=SUMPRODUCT((B1:B65535=D1)*(C1:C65535=D2)*A1:A6553 5)

=INDEX(A1:A65535,MATCH(1,(B1:B65535=D1)*(C1:C65535 =D2),0))

=INDEX(A1:A65535,MATCH(1,INDEX((B1:B65535=D1)*(C1: C65535=D2),),0))

I made sure no matches existed, so they would all need to go "full range".

I don't have XL07 to try them on a larger range, but I can't *see* any
difference between the 3 in XL2K.

RD

"T. Valko" wrote in message
SUMPRODUCT and any other array processing formulas will evaluate *every*
cell referenced by the formula.

In Excel 2007, something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A:A="x"),--(B:B="z"))

is "crazy" if you don't actually have data in every row.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"RagDyer" wrote in message
What about Sumproduct Biff?

RD

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't
know the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No, all 3 of those examples are processing arrays so *every* cell referenced
is being evaluated even though the used range may end at D100.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote in message
SUMPRODUCT and any other array processing formulas will evaluate *every*
cell referenced by the formula.

In Excel 2007, something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A:A="x"),--(B:B="z"))

is "crazy" if you don't actually have data in every row.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"RagDyer" wrote in message
What about Sumproduct Biff?

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't
know the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes.

(B1:B65535=D1)*(C1:C65535=D2)

That is an array even if you wrap inside INDEX:

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I don't
know the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Appreciate the input ... Thanks.

RD

---------------------

---------------------

"T. Valko" wrote in message
SUMPRODUCT and any other array processing formulas will evaluate

*every*
cell referenced by the formula.

In Excel 2007, something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A:A="x"),--(B:B="z"))

is "crazy" if you don't actually have data in every row.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"RagDyer" wrote in message
What about Sumproduct Biff?

RD

----

"itsAchint" wrote:

I want to total a column from D3 to the end of D column (I

don't
know the
end) and place that sum in D1.
Please help !! Urgent !!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote in message
SUMPRODUCT and any other array processing formulas will evaluate

*every*
cell referenced by the formula.

In Excel 2007, something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A:A="x"),--(B:B="z"))

is "crazy" if you don't actually have data in every row.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"RagDyer" wrote in message