Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Concatenate with hyphens answer

I tried to reply to a Concatenate Formula question and it is unavailable so I
will post it this way your concatenate formula should read =CONCATENATE(A1,"
","&"," ",B1).

--
Taffy ~ Pulled in EVERY Direction & as SWEET as can be!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

CONCATENATE is a useless function. You can simply use the & operator
instead. E.g.,

="Hello"&" "&"World"

For a VBA function that *vastly* improves upon CONCATENATE, see
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StringConcatenation.aspx

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Excel Product Group, 1998 - 2009
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 11:27:01 -0700, Taffy
wrote:

I tried to reply to a Concatenate Formula question and it is unavailable so I
will post it this way your concatenate formula should read =CONCATENATE(A1,"
","&"," ",B1).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Chip,
I don't think it is a useless function at all. I use it quite often to
extract information. My post was meant for this question:
Cell A1 = ##-#### Cel B1 = ##-@@@@. When I try to merge the two using =A1&"
"&"B1 I get @@@@, the text string after the hyphen in the second cell. Why is
it cutting off at the hyphen and what can I do to remedy this?

What would your answer be?
THX!!
--

wrote:

I tried to reply to a Concatenate Formula question and it is unavailable so I
will post it this way your concatenate formula should read =CONCATENATE(A1,"
","&"," ",B1).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

When I use =A1&B1 or =A1&""&B1 with the text string you describe, I
get the expect result of ##-#####-@@@@. My first guess would be that
you have the "Transition Formula Evaluation" and/or "Transition
Formula Entry" setting enabled.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional