jennifer

Default Change Text to a number

Create a macro that replaces the value for you given arrays or if statements.
Alternatively, you can use the vlookup function as follows:

Input all the data where 2nd column is translation for the code for example

ColA ColB

you can then enter the following formula in your data table in any available
column you want to show the translation
=VLOOKUP(D1,$A$1:$B$25,2,FALSE)
where D1 = colrow of where "MSP"
where $A$1:$B$25 is the 25 codes you have in a table (or you can name the
range and replace here

Good luck.

"Brooks W." wrote:

I am trying to see if there is a way to change text entered into a cell into
a number based on the text entered. As an example, an airport code of MSP
would need to be changed to a store number 510. Is there a way to do this in
Excel 2000? There are about 25 codes that could be entered and of course 25
numbers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Brooks W.

Peo Sjoblom

You need to create a table with all codes and their numbers

MSP 510
PDX 710

and so on

assume that table would be in A2:B26

and that you type the code into H2, now you can use (let's say the formula
is in I2)

=VLOOKUP(H2,A2:B26,2,0)

now when you type MSP in H2 I2 would return 510

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom