Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Spell Check in Text Boxes

I've searched the previous posts trying to find an answer to this question -
no luck. Is there a way to get spell check to work when the text is in a
text box? Currently, it will only check any words outside of this area.

Thanks you in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Lee Ann -

This surprised the heck out of me, but in Excel 2007 when I recorded
the process of spell-checking one textbox and then played a bit more it
looks like this simple sub will do what you need:

Public Sub SpellCheckTextboxes()

Cells.CheckSpelling SpellLang:=1033

End Sub

It seems to start at Cell A1 and then works its way down and to the
right, looking for textboxes and spell-checking the text in them.

Please let me know if this works for you...

--
jamescox
jamescox's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=449

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm looking forward to trying this, but can you offer some direction on how
to use it? I can get around Excel pretty well, but have never used this.

Excuse my ignorance, but I assume what you've written should be copied and
after right clicking the affected Excel workbook page, I should choose View
Code and paste it there? If this is correct, I'm unsure where to go from
there. Thanks in advance.

"jamescox" wrote:

Lee Ann -

This surprised the heck out of me, but in Excel 2007 when I recorded
the process of spell-checking one textbox and then played a bit more it
looks like this simple sub will do what you need:

Public Sub SpellCheckTextboxes()

Cells.CheckSpelling SpellLang:=1033

End Sub

It seems to start at Cell A1 and then works its way down and to the
right, looking for textboxes and spell-checking the text in them.

Please let me know if this works for you...

--
jamescox
jamescox's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=449
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=120599

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The code goes into a code module, not a sheet's code or the
ThisWorkbook module.

If that didn't make a lot of sense, you need to get into Visual Basic
from the Developer tab on the ribbon menu. (If you don't have a
Devloper tab, click on the Office orb - that round button at the top
left of the Excel window, select Excel Options and then on the 'Popular
window, check the third box down Show developer tab in the ribbon).

On the left hand side of the VB editor window, there should be Project
- VBA Project pane and it should have listed your workbook as a VBA
project. Right click on the VBA project that has your workbook name in
parentheses and from the pop up menu select Insert and then Module.
This should open up a code window in the editor - and that's where you
paste the code; it will be a macro.

To run the macro, go to the View tab on the ribbon, click on the Macro
button and from the window that pops up, select the SpellCheckTextboxes
item and click on Run.

That should get you there!
To run it, select the worksheet you want to spell-check

--
jamescox
jamescox's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=449
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=120599

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

jamescox;439827 Wrote:
[...]

*How to add and run a Macro*1. *Copy* the macro above pressing
the keys *CTRL+C*
2. Open your workbook
3. Press the keys *ALT+F11* to open the Visual Basic Editor
4. Press the keys *ALT+I* to activate the *Insert menu*
5. *Press M* to insert a *Standard Module*
6. *Paste* the code by pressing the keys *CTRL+V*
7. Make any custom changes to the macro if needed at this time.
8. *Save the Macro* by pressing the keys *CTRL+S*
9. Press the keys *ALT+Q* to exit the Editor, and return to Excel.

*To Run the Macro...*
To run the macro from Excel, open the workbook, and press *ALT+F8* to
display the *Run Macro Dialog*. Double Click the macro's name to *Run*
it.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
'Microsoft Office Help' (http://www.thecodecage.com)
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=120599

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

James & Simon - I was able to follow the instructions and get the code in as
you said. I'm obviously missing something as I received the following error
message:

Run-time error "1004": CheckSpelling method of Range class failed

I am not experienced in doing this type of thing so I do apologize for all
the questions and problems. Thanks for all your help so far and hopefully
you can assist with this latest error.

"Simon Lloyd" wrote:

jamescox;439827 Wrote:
[...]

Text Boxes and Check Marks LinZ Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 18th 08 10:30 PM
Spell Check Sarapu New Users to Excel 1 October 16th 07 07:39 AM
Using Spell Check function in text box when worksheet is protected Paul Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 February 8th 07 04:29 PM
... Can I set Spell Check to automatically check my spelling ... Dr. Darrell Setting up and Configuration of Excel 0 March 21st 06 08:26 PM
Strange behavior w/ Text, Button, & Check Boxes kswinth Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 June 26th 05 04:49 PM