Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting using data from 2 columns

I need to count the number of rows which have a particular date in column A
and then a particular name in column J, I have tried countif formula but can
not get it to work. Basically i need to count all the rows that contain the
"Daily Telegraph" in column J as well as containing say "25 JUL" IN COLUMN A,
any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you. sorry, dont think I explained myself well - this works but not
correctly

I have 24 rows that contain 25 Jul in column A and out of these 19 contain
daily telegraph in column J and thats the number i am looking for but instead
this formula is giving me 72 as it is adding 24 from column a to the 48(total
number of rows in column J that contain daily telgraph)

Hope this is clearer.

Thanks

"darbs" wrote:

I need to count the number of rows which have a particular date in column A
and then a particular name in column J, I have tried countif formula but can
not get it to work. Basically i need to count all the rows that contain the
"Daily Telegraph" in column J as well as containing say "25 JUL" IN COLUMN A,
any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
I misunderstood use

=SUMPRODUCT((J1:J100="Daily Telegraph")+(A1:A100="25 JUL"))

"darbs" wrote:

I need to count the number of rows which have a particular date in column A
and then a particular name in column J, I have tried countif formula but can
not get it to work. Basically i need to count all the rows that contain the
"Daily Telegraph" in column J as well as containing say "25 JUL" IN COLUMN A,
any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming your 25 Jul is TEXT

=sumproduct((a2:a22="25 July")*(j2:j22="daily telegraph"))

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"darbs" wrote in message
I need to count the number of rows which have a particular date in column A
and then a particular name in column J, I have tried countif formula but
can
not get it to work. Basically i need to count all the rows that contain
the
"Daily Telegraph" in column J as well as containing say "25 JUL" IN COLUMN
A,
any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
check if you don't have any blank space, the text in the formula has to be
exactly the same as in the column

"darbs" wrote:

I need to count the number of rows which have a particular date in column A
and then a particular name in column J, I have tried countif formula but can
not get it to work. Basically i need to count all the rows that contain the
"Daily Telegraph" in column J as well as containing say "25 JUL" IN COLUMN A,
any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
if there is a blank space you can ride off it doing in another column

=trim(A1)

then copy this result in column A pasting as values

"darbs" wrote:

I need to count the number of rows which have a particular date in column A
and then a particular name in column J, I have tried countif formula but can
not get it to work. Basically i need to count all the rows that contain the
"Daily Telegraph" in column J as well as containing say "25 JUL" IN COLUMN A,
any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this =sumproduct((range1=date(2009,7,25))*(range2="Dail y Telegraph"))

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"darbs" wrote in message