Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculations from tab to tab not automatically updating

I have a large workbook with many tabs. These tabs are linked to together
throughout the tabs. Lately the cells have not been automatically changing
when the source changes. I have the automatic calculation marked in the
Options menu. F9 does not change the cell. These used to work fine but now
I have to hit F2 on the cell for it to change values.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Check this list:

http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0024.html

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Leesa" wrote in message
I have a large workbook with many tabs. These tabs are linked to together
throughout the tabs. Lately the cells have not been automatically
changing
when the source changes. I have the automatic calculation marked in the
Options menu. F9 does not change the cell. These used to work fine but
now
I have to hit F2 on the cell for it to change values.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, still worked this morning!

Here's my own list:

Cells not calculating (correctly)
Niek Otten, March 31, 2006

Most frequent causes:

1. Calculation is set to Automatic. This often happens
unintentionally, for example by opening another workbook first.
Calculation is an Excel-wide setting; the first workbook opened determines
the calculation mode, which then applies to all open workbooks and workbooks
that are opened later in that instance of Excel. It can be changed manually
(again, for all open workbooks):
ToolsOptionsCalculation tab, check Automatic.
2. There are User Defined Functions (UDFs) which access cells directly
from within the function, that is, not via the argument list. Then Excel is
not aware of the need of recalculation if the precedent cell changes. You
can include Application.Volatile in the function, but there is no guarantee
this will always calculate cells in the correct sequence in all (future)
versions of Excel. It also causes the calling cells (and dependents) to
always be recalculated, even if not necessary. Really the best way is to
include all precedent cells in the argument list.
3. You see the formulas in the cell, not the answers. Two options: a.
ToolsOptionsView, Formulas is checked (you may accidentally have hit the
shortcut key: CTRL+`), b. the cell was formatted as text before you entered
the formula. Format as General and re- enter (F2, ENTER). If its about many
formulas, select them, Find and replace = by =. Thats more or less the
same as re-entering them.
4. Excel version 5.0a (yes, very, very old!) has serious recalculation
bugs, Excel 97 absolutely needs Service Pack 2 (SP2) to calculate correctly.
5. Very, very rarely, Excels dependency tree gets messed up. One way
to rebuild it is to find and replace all = by =, for all sheets (for
Excel, this is like re-entering all formulas). Later versions of Excel
rebuild by pressing CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F9
6. For many calculation secrets, visit Charles Williams site:
www.decisionmodels.com

"Leesa" wrote in message
I have a large workbook with many tabs. These tabs are linked to
together
throughout the tabs. Lately the cells have not been automatically
changing
when the source changes. I have the automatic calculation marked in
the
Options menu. F9 does not change the cell. These used to work fine
but
now
I have to hit F2 on the cell for it to change values.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you! I did ALT CTL Shift F9 and that seemed to work.