Junior Member

Default Why not automatically updating calculations?

For some reason formulas that I have been using often that would automatically recalculate after I had made modifications for the cells in their range are no longer doing this automatically. I have to double-click the cell so that the formula is visable and then enter to force the formula into updating. I know this shouldn't be but not sure why or what to do to fix. Please help the newb.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael

Hi walkingmac. Check Tools - Options - Calculation tab and make sure that
Automatic is checked.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"walkingmac" wrote:

For some reason formulas that I have been using often that would
automatically recalculate after I had made modifications for the cells
in their range are no longer doing this automatically. I have to
double-click the cell so that the formula is visable and then enter to
force the formula into updating. I know this shouldn't be but not sure
why or what to do to fix. Please help the newb.

--
walkingmac

Junior Member

ahh... yes, that did it. Thank you. Not sure how that could have been disabled on throughout the machines, but yes, thanx.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael

Your welcome. Thanks for the feedback
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"walkingmac" wrote:

ahh... yes, that did it. Thank you. Not sure how that could have been
disabled on throughout the machines, but yes, thanx.

--
walkingmac

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Mac

ToolsOptionsCalculation can be Auto or Manual.

Excel takes the Calculation mode each session from the settings on the first
workbook opened in that session.

i.e. If you saved Book1 with calc mode in manual and opened it first, calc
mode would be in Manual.

If you saved Book2 with calc mode in auto and opened it after Book1, Book2
would be in manual mode(Excel ignores the auto calc mode in this case).

If you close Book1 before opening Book2, Book2 will be in auto calc mode.

Confusing enough? <g

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:50:04 +0000, walkingmac
wrote:

ahh... yes, that did it. Thank you. Not sure how that could have been
disabled on throughout the machines, but yes, thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Could get turned by a macro or by an addin.
Turning off calculation will make macro run faster but forgetting to turn it back
on particularly when the macro abnormally terminates will leave calculation at manual.

If the problem recurs you can have your Excel tell you when you start up Excel that
calculation is not set at automatic and then perhaps you can remember what you
did in the previous session.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...esp.htm#addins
---
HTH,